Am I the only one?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Don't dispair! Just take your time, you can quilt on a domestic machine. Before I got my longarm, I quilted up to queen size quilts on my domestic Singer, mainly outline quilting or Sid. The "quilt as you go" method is very easy to do on a domestic machine. If you shop around for a longarmer, I bet you can find one who will quilt a simple edge to edge design for a very reasonable price.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Oh don't be so quick to throw in the towel on quilting. I don't have a long arm either, but there are LQS that rent theirs. I go there and rent it for $18/hr. I found out about many women who quilt for a living in a Quilting 101 course at a LQS. Maybe as little as $100 for a quilt. You need to talk with people in your area and investigate just a smidge before getting more discouraged.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM

I've been doing echo quilting-got tired of SITD.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 PM

I don't have a long arm! Don't want one either! No desire at all! I am happy just meandering and FM on my old singer. Please don't give up! Your only started finding yr nitch in the hobby!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Don't get discouraged!!! many of us on here quilt on our regular sized domestic machines. I being one of them!!!
I have made over 200 quilts and have not yet sent one out to be quilted. I do confess that the quilting part is my weakest point, I have a stack of quilts that are waiting for the quilting cause I can't decide how to quilt them. However, over 200 of them have been completed on just my little ole sewing machine. You can do it!!!!
Oh my, Gayle!! Over 200 on a regular machine?? You are an inspiration...thank you!!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 AM

I have tried FMQ and I hate it. They say practise makes perfect but I hate it too much to practise. Therefore I have a lot of quilt tops because it is too expensive to get them done. I love everything about quilting, even binding but don't ask me to do FMQ.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 AM

Try using any decorative stitches you might have. Also, when I first started quilting, I would use my zigzag stitch. I would set it to a Number 3 width and Number 3 length (this varies by machine so just play around with yours) and go over all seams. This makes a curvy line and you don't have to worry about staying in the ditch. I am now a long arm quilter, but my average charge is more like $100 than $150. This is for an all over pantograph.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 AM

The entire quilting process brings me much happiness and joy. If I think about the cost my happiness and joy is crushed. There are many hobbies that are much more expensive. Enjoy the journey and don't try to put a price on it.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 AM

I'm a hand quilter and have never even machine quilted. Find it much more relaxing. There's something about me and a sewing machine... I love to hand piece and applique too.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:47 AM

Never,never give up. Make some small quilts, potholder size and practice, practice,practice. Experiment until you find something that suits you. When I first started I use to quilt 1/4" from the seam line. If your machine does fancy stitches, try using some of them. Can you truly imagine your life without quilting? Never judge yourself against others. Some people are better and some maybe not as good. Only judge against your past work to see if you've improved.
WE are not all meant to be award winning quilters. I doubt I'd have the patience to spend 3-4 years on a quilt.
Please don't quit something you enjoy.
Happy quilting.