Down-sizing

Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM

I thought the word was down sizing ;)

Why are you downsizing? Is this your final home? Utilities, taxes, upkeep, cleaning....project those down the line 20 years.

I would keep it tight. How much room do you use EVERY DAY? Because you will be paying (either in money or maintenance time) for any space 365 days a year to use it 15 days.

You can configure space without having dedicated rooms.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Why would the sewing room be the only room considered for the "extra" room. I wouldn't want someone sleeping in there in case there are pins or needles on the floor I know we all work really hard to keep them off the floor but sometimes it does happen and I know I would hate to see my baby step on one on the way to the bathroom). Why not get a good quality sleeper sofa and put in the game room. Your husband would have a really nice couch to use when daughter isn't there and you daughter would have a nice "bed" when she visits(my brother had one that was as good as a normal bed). Game systems can be moved to the living room a lot easier than moving 3 WIP's, a cutting table with 100's of small pieces on it and whatever else is going on in your room. When daughter comes back for visit she could also have a tv in her room. You really need to talk to hubby and see if he's willing to give up his cave if not then go with the 4th room (you could always use it to hold some of your stash). I would think it would also depend on how big the bedrooms are. Good luck in deciding.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM

I agree with Willa about it would flow better to have sleeper sofa in the game room.
But even more if you are in a house with enough bedrooms now why move. I'd suggest down size unneeded things, and in 3-4 years consider if you want to stay or go to a condo for ease of maintainence, etc. If things are reduced to what you would want to move then if you do move it will be easier, and if you decide to stay put it won't be a problem.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I always thought down-sizing meant going from a 4 bedroom house to a studio apt! If I still needed that many rooms, I would not downsize..the market won't be fixed anytime soon
I agree. We only have three bedrooms now!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I think I lot of people have already been forced to down-size - down to living in someone else's basement, or their car - if they are lucky enough to still have one - or back with their parents or other relatives.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Downsizing is great - we did it 5 years ago and I would actually like to go even downer-sized. I didn't know condos came in 4 bedroom varieties. Obviously the more bedrooms, the more you and DH can keep your hobby rooms to yourselves, but in the end it might depend more on location and how much you like the condo, the building and the neighborhood, etc.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM

You guys have helped me think about some things that never came to mind!! I love the idea of staying in this house and instead getting rid of unneeded things. Great idea. But, I think hubby and I really need a ranch (one-story) style place due to hip/knee issues. Oh, so confused!!! LOL
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Getting rid of unused, un-needed, unwanted, and unusable items really frees up a lot of space - and has to be done before one moves into a smaller space, anyway.

It's very freeing and one feels much lighter after doing some of this.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I always thought down-sizing meant going from a 4 bedroom house to a studio apt! If I still needed that many rooms, I would not downsize..the market won't be fixed anytime soon
This is what I thought too!

I have told my husband that we will never need to downsize because we started out downsized! We only have three bedrooms -- in fact, the house is only 1400 square feet to begin with!

I need to go through the stuff again and get rid of the unused stuff to open up more space. I hang onto it thinking we will get a bigger house instead of downsizing!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Depends to a large extent on what you can afford.

If I could afford it, I would have 4 bedrooms -
one for US to sleep in - one to move to when the other is snoring loudly - one for "my" stuff - one for "his" stuff

ROFLMBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!