Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter Inch Seam >

Quarter Inch Seam

Quarter Inch Seam

Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 AM

I started having eye problems a few years ago so I decided that the one thing that hurts my eyes the most is ripping out a seam. I've learned to be less of a perfectionist and really enjoy quilt making more now than I did when I was trying to make everything perfect. My family likes my quilts so I'll be happy just making the quilts even if the seams don't match. :-)
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 AM

Sometimes you can 'fudge' on joining blocks and they will be fine. If there is a little excess fabric, sew slowly with the bubble next to the feed dogs and this will take care of it. If you end up with a gathered spot, when you quilt go right through it and it will be hidden. It happens to all (most) of us every once in awhile. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

This is my salvation. We are not working with wood, so there is always a little stretch to use to our advantage. Chin up :-)
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM

I have a 1/4 inch foot for all my machines which has been a big help. Sometimes we just need to rant a bit and then get back to quilting!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Is your machine portable? if it not in a table, try using a wedge,like a door stop or wood wedge, and put it under the back of the machine so the machine is tilted towards you..sit up straight, and you will be able to see the bed of the machine easier..and watch the guide easier. I also used to use "white out" to paint the black bar so i could see it better..the lighting on most machines is not the greatest..let us know how you are doing...!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM

I understand your frustration!! I have sewn for many years and this Quarter inch still at times gives me fits. One of the comments here about fudging a bit may be your salvation. good luck and I really like your last statement about the gifts that you have been given.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 AM

I am getting ready to take a curved piecing class at my LQS and one of the requirements is a 1/4" foot without a guide. I found one but my Janome foot with the guide is partly responsible for some of my major successes. I figure my curves will be ovals but at least I am learning a new technique.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Here is a link to the freezer paper instructions from About.com:
quilting.about.com/od/quiltingcommunity/a/swap_blocks.htm?nl=1

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
If your blocks are close to the right size, and I is important to you to have them exact you can block them into submission. Mark a square the correct size on a piece of freezer paper, lay it on the ironing board. Pin the block to the paper with lots of straight pins matching the marked size. You can use spray starch to help stretch the block. once pinned in place press carefully, using more starch if necessary until you have the size you want. let it cool before removing pins. To shrink pin the same way, mist heavily with water, hold the iron just above the block.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 AM

I use my quarter inch foot also, but things are not always as they should be in my blocks. I accept the responsibility for this. But hey, that's OK. I have a small bamboo skewer that I use to ease in a little extra fullness when I need to and it rarely shows. Just use the pointy tip to push that extra bit a little at a time under the foot and it's fine when I'm finished with the seam.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 AM

I can only do a consistent quarter inch using a guide. I use foam tape I found in the hardware section at Walmart.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM

I did the same thing as Carslo.....purchased a 1/4 " foot for my machine......that did the trick!!