Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Final Dresden Seasonal Swap - Winter >

Final Dresden Seasonal Swap - Winter

Final Dresden Seasonal Swap - Winter

Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

TWO STUPID QUESTIONS-

1. I am having hard time placing the leaves in the right place and then ironing them down. Is there a trick to this or do people just eye it?

2. The idea of glueing them down and then sewing on the plate and center sounded good to me. I used my spray baste to "glue" down the plate and center. Is there another way to do it? I had DH bring a very big box to the house and I was going to use it as my mini "spray booth" to spray baste the back of the plate and center. I did one this way and I liked it but I wonder if there are other ways?

Well I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I sure am!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
TWO STUPID QUESTIONS-

1. I am having hard time placing the leaves in the right place and then ironing them down. Is there a trick to this or do people just eye it?

2. The idea of glueing them down and then sewing on the plate and center sounded good to me. I used my spray baste to "glue" down the plate and center. Is there another way to do it? I had DH bring a very big box to the house and I was going to use it as my mini "spray booth" to spray baste the back of the plate and center. I did one this way and I liked it but I wonder if there are other ways?

Anna, I don't know if you'll see this before you finish. lol... I don't get email notification anymore about posts here... I'm at the same phase in my Dresdens as you are. Here's what I'm doing. 1) I looked at Deb's tutorial, saw what others on the threads had done in other Dresden's posts....Then...I eyeballed it...haha... 2)I'm gluing with Glue-Baste-It... While I sleep I have my 12" square cutting ruler on top of them all with something heavy on that to press them all over night. (A pumpkin..haha) It's probably not necessary, but I'm sleepy so I'll do the basting around the plate after church tomorrow. The glue should be dried...it's probably dry now, but like I said..I'm sleepy LOL..

Good Luck!!! Can't wait to see how yours turn out.

~Sheri
Old 11-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
Rounded poinsettias will be interesting. I'm glad we have another joining. Does that make 11 now?
Yes, Robert has joined for the pointsettias, for those of you who remember spring and fall, he does exceptional work!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
TWO STUPID QUESTIONS-

Not a stupid question. If you go to the tutorial, that may help you understand how I did mine, though others have just as good luck with their methods. You may want to put the leaves under the plates and then as you stitch the plates down, you will catch the leaves. I did a little dab of elmer's glue stick to hold mine in place till I was ready to stitch them down.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Thank you Deb and Sheri. I plan to give it a whirl this afternoon. At the moment I have quilter's block.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Darling, we all have been there. My block isn't from my mind, but from all the stuff that has been thrust upon me at home! I started two quilts for my kids for Christmas, ready to do the top of the adults in the quilt as you go method, and then finish Emma's Fairy Tale Princess - but life has gotten in the way of life! Now heard that my cousin, husband are coming from NH and bringing the granddaughter.....it has been suggested that they find an inexpensive motel nearby so they can come and go at their leisure. I am in the middle of my own pointsettia blocks as well.....it is no wonder that I can't find my seam ripper, nor my other little scissors or those last sets of leaves.....
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 AM

is there any poening left? i just found ya'll and would love to do these blocks.. thanks , molly
Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Send a PM to Deb Watkins, she is in charge. It is a fun swap.

Originally Posted by sewnmom View Post
is there any poening left? i just found ya'll and would love to do these blocks.. thanks , molly
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM

I saw this swap a couple of days ago and am so impressed with the poinsettas. I would like so much to join you all but untill I can find my way around this board I'm afraid swaps are out for me.
Hopefully you will have the dresden plates again next year. Maybe by then I'll be able to get around on this board.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewnmom View Post
I know the swap is closed, but if you want to do the pointsettia block, you are more than welcome
! PM me if you are going to join.