Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM

I have done machine applique and like it but would prefer a smoother edge. I found this "Cheater's Turn Needle" tut. I hope this has not already been posted here. Link

Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 AM

I love applique and learned long ago. I started with freezer paper, pressing back a 1/4 inch and doing the applique stitch almost all the way around the piece and then going in and pulliing the freezer paper out, then continueing on around until it was completely stitched down. Now, I have graduated to needle turn. Which I love. So, I would love to join a group that loves applique or that wants to applique.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM

I'm just learning, my first was the attached free project. Turned out cute.

http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2009/10...ll-pillow.html
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM

I've tried my hand at it, nothing spectacular tho. I went to a quilting retreat last year tho and this gal had the most beautiful applique going. Part of a flower scene, blown up. 4 people each had a section to do from this class she was taking. It blew me away, so want to get to learning myself.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm green with envy. I have Ellie's dvd's and she is amazing. Those state blocks..........if you do them you have to post. Those are way beyond my ability at this point in time. I'm just starting to applique but I have a couple of blocks I must say I'm fairly proud of.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks, once again, Craftybear!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM

CraftyBear posted Erin's site about a week ago and got me hooked. I bought material and cut out my shapes and am going to try her method this weekend. The edges look so perfect. I love the way she glues everything down before she sews. I did one where my stems came out horrible but I think if I had pre-glued them it would have helped a lot.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Great idea!
I love to do hand Applique. It is like eating peanuts, you just can't stop.
At the moment, I have a full sized Hawaiian Quilt, full size, about a third appliqued. I love to work on it, but so many other projects get in the way. I will get back to it once the Christmas projects are done.
I like to applique small landscapes (Valerie Hearder style) and I also like to do reverse applique, particularly for thin lines such as lettering.
I would post photos, but I am not sure how to do that and I do not see any place to do it.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM

I started late quilting so in the last 6 years I have tried all kinds of techniques to see which one I liked the best - applique was the one - I made several quilts -king size -for my husband and many for me!!! The 1st quilt is a SSR roadster-it was challenging I used alot of different fabric{silks and satins] The Harley quilt took about 6 months to complete and about 600 hours-it is also a king size - The Woman of Color was fun I dyed all the fabric except for the black - it is about 36x 40 - all are needle turned
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	red 002.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	838.3 KB
ID:	286261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilting frame 017.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	286270   Click image for larger version

Name:	library 001.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	811.4 KB
ID:	286272  

Last edited by dorrell ann; 11-11-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by MarySews View Post
Great idea!
I love to do hand Applique. It is like eating peanuts, you just can't stop.
At the moment, I have a full sized Hawaiian Quilt, full size, about a third appliqued. I love to work on it, but so many other projects get in the way. I will get back to it once the Christmas projects are done.
I like to applique small landscapes (Valerie Hearder style) and I also like to do reverse applique, particularly for thin lines such as lettering.
I would post photos, but I am not sure how to do that and I do not see any place to do it.
To post a photo, click on "Go Advanced", then click on "Manage Attachments"...hope this helps.