Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do your grandchildren call you? >

What do your grandchildren call you?

What do your grandchildren call you?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:57 PM

I love seeing all the Mimi's on this thread, that was what we, well after a while eveyone, called my beloved grandmother. I am Grammie
Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 PM

I don't have kids so never expected to have a grandmother-type name. But my dear goddaughter just had a baby and her plan is for me to be called GG for grand(god)mother. I'm so thrilled.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:53 PM

I'm called Nana. Grandpa is called Grandpa Dave by his side of the family and Bobo by my side of the family. Bobo started when our 1st grandson started saying Grandpa and it came out sounding like Bobo.. and it just stuck. He doesn't much like it, but he's stuck with it now, ha, ha.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 PM

When I was going to be a grandmother we started wponder what we would be called. Both sets were going to be grandparents for the first time. Even though we kept sawing grammy and papa some how she decided what she wanted to call us. We are Nunny and Papa and the other set are Lully and Pappap. Where she came up with Lullie and nunny we have know idea. But it's not the most unusual I've heard. My neighbor boys call the grandmother, Donnel. lol
Old 11-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Mine call me Grannie and they call my husband, Grampy.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 PM

My youngest daughter called me "Mimi" until she was about 4. My mother didn't like that at all, don't know why. It didn't hurt anyone. So I love that name, too.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM

When my oldest granddaughter was born 17 years ago, my son and her mother asked me what my 'grandma name' would be. I liked Grammy, but that was my Mom. Nana reminded me of the dog in Peter Pan, so that was out. Didn't care for Grandma, or Granny, Grandmother was too formal, and so on. So I asked to have a few days to think about it.

I came back with two choices: "Oma" or "Gma" (GeeMa). (I didn't know that Oma was the German 'Grandma' at the time.)

MY son asked me how I came up with those choices. I told them that I was already used to both names - to which he responded "Well, Gee, Ma, ...."

I interrupted him by saying, "I rest my case." Everyone laughed and they made a decision.

They chose "Oma" and it really fits me. And I love being an Oma!

My husband is called "Pop-Pop", and occasionally, "Double Pop". It works for him.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM

My GK call me gramma or gramma Michigan my husband is grampa they call their other gramma gramma waterpark My other grandkids call us the same but their other grandparent are Nina and Appy
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Kimberly is only a month old but I am hoping for Grammy Sieff. My last name and hers is Siefferman.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM

I really think the parents choose what they call you to their child we are going to Mimi's or grammy's etc. You usually have to have an agreement from the parent or else they call you what they choose. My youngest grandson called me ma till he was about 2 and a half now it is granmma and he is always wanting to call granmma Michigan. They live in Ohio