Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by KathyAire View Post
Most of my applique is dogs. I have done some flowers, as in 'Happy Daisies'. I will have to look and see what I might have left. I give most of my stuff away.

Here are the dogs.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50844-1.htm

Just adorable .. Very nice !!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Default Applique Club

I am a new quilter but have been a sewer all my life. I am also an artist, so when I retired and told my friends it was time to start quilting, they all said I would be good at art quilts. I just wanted to learn basic quilts. Two years ago I saw McKenna Ryann's Forest Hollow quilt with the Owl's appliqued on it, and knew my Aunt would go crazy over it. It seems I will be seeing her in two months in New Zealand, so I've had to start it and hustle. I am LOVING working on it. I am doing machine blanket stitches on all the pieces, then will use some colored pencils to shade for a more realistic look and make it permanent. I expect her to use it, not just hang it, so I wanted it to be durable. I'm using coordinating thread colors for each piece, and may do a little thread painting, too at the end. I have completed one small landscape wall hanging, and that's it, so this will be my first "real" quilt. I haven't sandwiched it yet as there are far too many pieces to blanket stitch, and I think it would be too stiff. I'm planning on doing my own quilting, too. I've done a lot of reading and practicing on FMQ, and will SID for the borders. It looks great so far...will send a pic at the end if all is well lol!
I'll definitely do more applique from now on. I like details, but applique isn't so repetitious so it's moved up in my book!
Sally in Florida
Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 AM

Count me in too! I just started working on the 12 month Calendar Cats (by Barbie Jo Paquin). I decided to try it with the double freezer paper pressing technique instead of doing it as a fusible project. Next project I will definitely go back to the mylar starch template pressing technique or I will try my hand at the needle turn applique technique. There are so many ways to do it...I'm still learning so much!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Could we have an exchange for applique blocks? I would be interested if the subject of the blocks and the color scheme were ones I wanted to do. I guess that would be true for everyone, but maybe we could have more than one exchange started. Will someone volunteer to administer an applique quilt block exchange?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM

I have sewed for many years and like doing the handwork. I recently completed a sunbonnet sue for our new grandaughter that the dr now announced is a boy ! LOL but our daughter says she will still use it because it has fabrics from all the women in her life. It was my first total applique..sure its not perfect and I will improve but in my eyes its beautiful. Will post pic soon. Looking forward to tips from others on their applique. I use Do-Sew as a backing then turn my pieces; it gives them dimension. Happy appliqueing !
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Block exchange would be fun -- we could pick a block and make it scrappy with muslin background and that would be great !
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM

I have this hoop. Actually bought it for hand quilting. Sally
Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I just saw this hoop. Does anyone have it? looks really handy. I like how it turns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyuPE...ayer_embedded#!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 AM

I would love to learn how to applique. I have alot of patterns for applique, but have not started one yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM

I have tinkered around with different forms of applique. I would love to learn "needle turn" applique.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I just saw this hoop. Does anyone have it? looks really handy. I like how it turns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyuPE...ayer_embedded#!
I got the 16" size and it's beautifully made.

But, even though I'm a tall woman, the 16" size is a little too big for me. I am going to get the 14" hoop that turns, next time. Probably the one that has the "sit on" stand - how nice not to have the hoop sliding off my lap when I am threading the needle.