Giblet gravy

Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 PM

I don't think I ever had giblet gravy ( never mind with eggs in it). I know no one in our family made it ( most holidays were done by myself or my sister) I do make homemade gravy from the pan drippings and thicken it with flour. Very tasty.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM

We had eggs in ours when I was growing up.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM

I, too put hard boiled eggs in my giblet gravy. My Mother taught me how to make it and she was born and raised in Texas. Try it, you might like it!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
Just curious....how many of you all put hard boiled eggs in your giblet gravy? I always have as that's how my Granny did hers but I find a lot of people on the West coast think I'm weird....lol
I make gravy out of the drippings, brown the flour, add stock and cook until thick, then I also put a chopped hard boiled egg in there, as my grandmother did ! The one thing I DON"T do is use the "giblets" I even throw them out....I don't want those turkey parts yukky stuff in my gravy ! I remember as a child my grandmother would boil them and then chop them up for the gravy, even as a kid I wouldn't eat them, just the "gravy" part.

On a different recipe note, I have a friend who is from an Italian family from New York; when his mom made meatballs for the family she would add several hard boiled eggs to the meatballs.....he said that it was her way of stretching the protein for the big family......he would bring his home made spaghetti and meatballs for lunch, along with the hard boiled eggs.....never looked appetizing to me, but then again, eating giblets aren't either !
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

No way, I love eggs but, not this way. I put the giblets in the dressing and put raw eggs in the dressing to hold it all together.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM

I also put the giblets in the dressing, but leave out the raw eggs. And I have stuffed my turkeys for the past 40 years and have never had a problem with under-cooked dressing. I always use a big roaster pan with lid (the old fashioned kind, blue). And my turkeys always come out well cooked but not dry. My favorite part is the neck, cooked on the bottom of the pan along with the turkey. I always eat it alone, the next night, so I don't have to use my fingers with family around.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM

I cook the giblets and use the broth for gravy but I don't put the giblets in the gravy. I like to eat them too much to hide them in the gravy! I also never heard of the eggs in it, but it does sound good!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 PM

If I stuff a turkey I never put eggs in the stuffing. If I make dressing then I always put eggs in that. Sometimes I do both - depends on how many people I am cooking for. When the whole family would be home for Thanksgiving I had to bake a 20plus pound turkey and a 15 pound ham to have enough. Now the family is in so many states that I am usually only fixing for 3. Unfortunately we only seem to get the whole family together for funerals and weddings now.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 PM
BMP

I am sorry to say this but this is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard of !! YUCK !
Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM

My stepfather used to eat oyster stuffing with his turkey. I thought that was a big yuck. I guess it was a New England receipe. Regional receipes are just regional. My husband grew up in Washington DC and likes to eat Scrapple. You can't even buy it in Texas, thank the good Lord. One person's yuck is another person's yum.