Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Patti, do Mimi's book teach machine applique?
I only have two of her books and as I recall, they only teach hand applique. There are a lot of books on machine applique, though. You won't have any trouble taking the directions for one type and applying them to another type. You just have to remember when to cut on the piece and when to allow a turn-under.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Love the idea! Love applique!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

For those of you who learned how to do machine applique from a book I would appreciate the name of the book- particularly those of you who do a satin stitch applique. I know it is very difficult to do as the width of the stitch has to be adjusted when you come to points, etc. And I know it must surely be time consuming to do. The stitching very much becomes part of the design of the applique and ceases to merely be the vehicle you use to attach the fabric. I have seen beautiful satin stitching on the appliques but I do not know the names of any of the books teaching machine applique with satin stitching. Please help.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:58 PM

There is one video tutorial and there are three books on the Connecting Threads site:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfS...chine+applique
Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 AM

Tanyal,

I have posted some notes on page 78 re satin stitch applique "How to "

Hope you can find this of use. I originally leant applique in a class.

Last edited by Betty J; 11-18-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: adding to
Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 AM

BettyJ, thank you for your reference; however I'm one of the ones having trouble getting around on this new site. Which topic thread is your "How To" written under? I only have 28 pages in this topic and it is one of the largest. If you were referring to an entry in this thread, it would be easier for me to find it by the entry number, i.e. this entry will be number 816 probably. Thank you.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Friends, Here is the type of information I am desperately searching for. If you are satin stitching something with a corner, I know one technique is to miter the stitches on the corner. I don't know how to do that. I know that if you are stitching around a curve but not a circle, then one technique is for the satin stitch to be very thick on the side of the curve and very thin on the top and bottom of the curve. The style I have seen has the stitching looking very much like you outlined the applique with a calligraphy pen instead of a sewing machine. Details inside, and each piece of fabric are done like this also. It is very pretty. So far all the instructions I have found just say use a zig-zag stitch or any width and density of my preference and stitch on the edge. This is another type of machine applique but not what I'm looking for, in fact I didn't know people used that for their finished stitching. So please - who does this varied width satin stitching applique work? Who can sew a mitred sating stitched corner? Who knows other ways to vary the BASIC satin stitch?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 AM

I've been doing hand applique a long time. It's my favorite fabric art form. If I ever finish "My Cat's Garden" now over 10 years in the WTF box (waiting to finish ), I want to do a stained glass.

I am learning to applique and thought this would be fun for all of us to chit chat here about applique. This way we can all learn together![/QUOTE]
Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 AM

THAT IS GORGEOUS! Very professional work!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:40 AM

That is the most gorgeous quilt I think I've ever seen! How long ago did they do that?

Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter View Post
I've been with you since the first week, but because of health issues I haven't managed to catch up until today. Because I have 4 BOM's on the go - one a reverse applique Celtic of which I have done 11 of the 12 side blocks, and also have the centre 36" x 34" block to do - I won't join in the hearts project.

One of the BOM's I'm having a problem with. It is http://www.honeybeefabrics.com/store...duct=SpringBOM If you scroll down to the second block which is the Dahlia and have a look at the leaves, you will see why I'm in trouble.

Curves on ordinary leaves I don't have a problem with, but these notched ones are giving me nightmares. I've undone one of them so many times that is is unusable unless I cut it down for another one. Is there an easy way to do them? Would backing them with a stabiliser and turning it inside out work?