Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan... >

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Nov 2011 Weight Loss Adventure winner is susan...

Old 11-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Your Portobello Mushroom pizza sounds divine. Thanks so much for sharing.
Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I have made pizza on a flour tortilla. I bake it a couple of minutes first to crisp it up. My current favorite low cal pizza is to take a portabella mushroom and break off the stem and scrape out the gills with a spoon. Then either bake or grill it until done. Grilling is my favorite. I take a can of tomatoes with garlic olive oil and basil and cook it down until pretty dry. Put it on the mushroom crust, top with a little cheese, chopped turkey pepperoni or whatever pizza topping you like. Pop in the oven or grill to melt cheese. YUM!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Congratulations, a goal beat. I like your message for young girls.
I missed my official weigh in this morning. I was doing a 5K. I help coach girls on the run. A program to teach girls the value of exercise and to teach them about a healthy lifestyle and self esteem. Our race was today. I don't run. My girls did really well. I walked the 5 K in 42:30 with a torn meniscus in my knee. My goal was to finish in under 45 minutes. I am happy with my results. Unofficially I am down another 2 pounds. My home scale isn't that accurate. Will try to weigh in on Monday.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM

I have made pizza on a flour tortilla. I bake it a couple of minutes first to crisp it up. My current favorite low cal pizza is to take a portabella mushroom and break off the stem and scrape out the gills with a spoon. Then either bake or grill it until done. Grilling is my favorite. I take a can of tomatoes with garlic olive oil and basil and cook it down until pretty dry. Put it on the mushroom crust, top with a little cheese, chopped turkey pepperoni or whatever pizza topping you like. Pop in the oven or grill to melt cheese. YUM!
Thanks for your help! I assume if you heat the shell first then no need to bake anything else. Sounds good!!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:28 PM

i just bake for another minute or two to melt the cheese
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Hello, just taking a break from cleaning my fridge. Not a pleasant chore, but necessary. My weight is holding or up a bit, but I have been doing a lot of hit or miss eating - not planned meals. Must be I'm doing more hits than misses.

I used to make my children pizzas after school with halved English muffins, pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese melted under the broiler. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with a tortilla. A quesadilla with pizza stuffing would work, too. Put the pizza ingredients on one side of the tortilla, fold it and grill it on a sprayed pan. For an adult one, I'd add some chopped up steamed broccoli, peppers and any other veggies of choice. Hmm, sounds like a way to use up some leftover turkey next weekend. I will have leftovers. I bought my turkey last night. I had a choice of 12 pounds or 25 pounds. I wanted a 18-20 pounder, but settled for the big one. What time is my 17 year old GD going to have to get up to get that monster in the oven? I'll have to promise her she can go back to bed. A 9 year old GS was with me to buy it and get it in my freezer. Good thing he's a tall strong one. He loves it when I need his help when I'm on child patrol. He took up 'sewing' last night. He has a 9 patch pillow top nearly done. He's have the top finished except he decided my machine went too fast, so he used it as a handcrank. It was cracking me up, but it kept him busy.

What are you doing special for yourself this busy time of year? I'll have to think about that before I answer. Don't let the sights and sounds of the season detract you from your goal. If something is tempting, savor three bites and dump pepper on the rest of your serving. DId I say I like pepper? I'll use salt - I don't like much salt.

What am I doing for myself? Taking the time to talk to y'all and reconnect with my goal for myself - to become leaner and healthier.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 11-20-2011, 03:17 AM

Smile

Seems I don't have much to say that'd be of any help.Last weigh in I was in same spot,but we'll see
what the scales says tomor.
One thing that makes sense to me (don't remember where it came from) is to
plan & write down what you plan to eat on a holiday(before the day),
calorie counts & amounts included. My plan is not to eat more than one
serving of mashed potatoes.

Last edited by plainpat; 11-20-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:51 AM

Everybody sounds so busy right now. You'd think Thanksgiving was coming or something. lol. We got setettled what we would be bringing. All she said she said she needed was bisquits so I told her I'd bake some in the morning before we go over. It's not much but it's all she wants.

I ordered the quilt kit The Grinch Stole Christmas and I got it in the mail. I hope I can do this O.K. The directions are kind of complicated. I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm kind of a new quilter and have never followed a pattern by myself yet so this will be a challenge. Everybody keep their fingers crossed. Saying a little prayer wouldn't hurt either. This is my only quilting Christmas present but my friend won't mind if it's late getting to her so I don't feel pressured to get it done by Christmas. It's the theme that counts.

I think the increase dose of meds is helping. I'm not having near the episodes I was before and I still have another increase in two weeks.

Our LQS released their 2012 class schedule yesterday while we were in there for class. Hubby and I signed up for a Log Cabin Class that meets the first three months of the year, third Sat of the month 9 -3, so we get some sewing time.
I'm signing up for the hand sewing class - this is a continuation from this year. I'm working on a hand sewen quilt for our bed. It will probably take me several year to finish it.

Well everyone keep working getting ready for Thanksgiving. Hope those who are ill are feeling better.

God Bless Everyone. Take it One Day at A Time!

Jeanne

Last edited by JHolm; 11-20-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 AM

So glad to hear you are doing better Jeanne. It is so hard not being well especially when you don't know the cause. I have been quilting for about 5 years and I still have trouble reading a pattern. I am not an instruction reader so I have trouble slowing down and actually reading them thoroughly. just take your time and think each step thru before you cut and sew. It will all work out. Just relax. Good luck. I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving.
Pat
Old 11-20-2011, 06:44 AM

I'm a new quilter, too, but not a new sewer. Patterns scare me, too. Meanmom's advice to do one step at a time is good. I have even copied the cutting directions so I could mark off where I was at. That seemed to help. Off to church. I'll check in later.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 AM

Well I give myself today and tomorrow to quilt, then it is put everything away and clean and vacuum on Tuesday. Prep on Wednesday and then the finale on Thursday. I plan to practice portion control and no seconds. My weakness will be the stuffing.
Scale must be broken as it hasn't moved in a week. The good thing is we still have 6 days after Thanksgiving before we post November's loss. That is a good thing right?