Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why don't my quilt tops lay flat? >

Why don't my quilt tops lay flat?

Why don't my quilt tops lay flat?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

after all that, you might try blocking your quilt while it's wet. lay flat and take your largest ruler and make the corners square. measure across if necessary with a tape measure and make the whole quilt square. when almost dry, put in dryer to fluff up a bit and get rid of any wrinkles. good luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 PM

I have had trouble in the past with quilts with blocks that are on point. The more you 'show them off' the more you can get stretch from those bias areas. Careful consideration of grain lines can help. Limited handling before quilting and pressing rather than ironing (no scrubbing!) have helped me too.

to measure for my borders, I use a method I learned in a Quiltmaker issue. Fold your quilt in half and lay the fold on a flat surface. Lay two borders close to the fold and trim to fit at each end, being careful not to trim the quilt top. Pin your borders matching ends, middle and quarters, then stitch, easing as you go. Do the same for the other 2 borders. I like this method as there is NO MATH! :::grin:::

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
Well, I guess that answers my question. Thanks. I tend to just start at one end, sew to the end and then cut it off. That's probably why all my long sashing between my blocks is wavy too. So actually measure and not wing it.
Yes, I'm sure this will help you. Measuring makes a huge difference! And when you get ready to sew the borders on, pin them in place first. I always mark the midpoint of my border, and half it again to mark it at the 1/4 points also. Then I mark the quilt top in the same manner. Next I pin the border to the top at each end, at the midpoint and at each 1/4 point. Then smooth/ease as needed between those pins to get everything distributed nice and evenly. It works every time and you're going to love the results.

Edit: I think Beth and I were typing at the same time... great minds think alike!

Last edited by azwendyg; 11-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I press most seams open if they won't show through. It really helps to fuse lightweight interfacing on the back of the top before adding borders. I fuse about six inches around the quilt and then sew on the border. I like Misty Fuse.
OK..this is a first...exactly what is the purpose of using interfacing? and You do realize that MistFuse is NOT an interfacing, but a fusible webbing meant to fuse TWO fabrics together right??? Are you sure you meant Mistyfuse is what you use, and not something else?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 PM

All excellent advice...I was always challenged but have learned the tricks...measuring center perpendicular and horizonal in the middle and pinning ends and folding in center and pinning and easing in no matter what even if it is a little bit...I also found WOF stretches more than length of fabric if you have enough or buy more...I also starch if I think there is a problem....One border I do not seem to have a problem but when I have multiple ones...it is ever learning....also a long armer told me she sometimes just sprays with water and lets it dry on her machine and it will work...have fun...Margo in Maine
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 AM

After you sew your blocks together, before adding borders, stitch around the quilt top, this will prevent stretching.
Measure your quilt top through the middle in a couple places, this is the measurement of your border. If your quilt blocks have been squared this measurement should be consistant. Cut side borders the same. Cut top/bottom borders the same. This will allow your quilt to lay flat. :-)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:40 AM

It's also extremely important to stitch scant 1/4 inch seams. Just snapping on a 1/4" foot on your machine does not insure that the resulting seam is what it needs to be. The only way to test it to stitch 3 - 2 1/2" x 5" strips together.
If your joined strips measure 6 1/2" your seam stitch is correct. If it's not you will need to move your needle either to the left or right, which ever way will make the correction you need. Once you know that sweet spot for your needle be sure and write it down for future projects that require a scant 1/4" seam.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:40 PM

I've heard you can quilt it out too. My puffy Nov. quilt has sagging sections in the middle. It did help to press after it came out of washer/dryer.

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
My blocks are good, I can match my corners well, I can square up my blocks, I press everything. When it gets to putting it all together it develops problems.

My borders are wavy, the center sometimes has bumps that won't lay flat.

At least I'm in good company-most of these things she sings about I can relate with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL7...ure=plpp_video

What are your suggestions for improving?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM

I have to agree with several others regarding measuring the quilt and not just cutting a strip for the border, sewing it on, and then cutting off the extra. Also marking the quilt edges and the border edges and matching, then pinning is a must. Keeps me from being impatient and pulling on the border and quilt.

mltquilt
Old 11-25-2011, 05:17 PM

that was a very good question, I have the same problem, thanks for the good info and tut.one can always fine great solutions from others on the QB,and ever one is so helpful, that is what makes the QB so wonderful.

d.swindle