Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Found some history today. >

Found some history today.

Found some history today.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM

So cool!! Keep us posted on finding the family...

My brother once found a man's wedding band in the garden when he bought a new house. He tracked the man down. He had lost his ring almost 40 years earlier!!

You could truly make someone's day...good luck with the search!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Kas

So, have you made any progress in finding these people? I am so curious!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 PM

I am a member af Ancestry.com. I can do a search using the address/name
Originally Posted by Ghetohound
You can also post on Ancestry that you are looking for family of a lost heirloom. Post just enough to trigger a memory of something but not all the info so the person that comes forward can give you info that assures you that it is their family.

Don't mean to sound cynical, but I had 1700 family bible and people came forward saying they were family, that really wasn't. It is wonderful that your trying to find them! Good luck!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Let us know if you find them.
Your new machine sure is pretty!
Good luck being detective!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Nice looking machine. I have a Singer 15-125 and it's in that exact same cabinet with that little pop out drawer on the side. It's almost like a secret drawer. When my MIL died we had to clean out her house. We found a whole shoebox filled with every letter that her oldest son had written when he was in boot camp through VietNam. What a treasure. Too bad that you couldn't find the family & give them the letters. Enjoy your new/old machine.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Hi did you ever find the family in the letter? Please repost if you did. I've got you bookmarked.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Wow! I bet those letters would be precious to his family. I wonder if you could locate them somehow? (ancesters.com / google / facebook / peoplesearch.com)
---------------------------------------
These are marvelous sites!!

Many years ago, about 1957, my ex DH was discharged from the Air Force and we left his base to go to another state. With us went a box of papers from 3 of his friends, "for safe keeping". After 53 years and the loss of new DH of 39 years, I was cleaning out old papers and found the 3 friends' papers from the AF and their letters from home and even birth and marriage certificates. I never found the Jones and other usual named man, but did find one man's only son in Tenn online. He was startled and very pleased to have masses of his dad's private possessions sent to him. He said that he sat down with the only remaining Aunt and she gave names, dates and connections to the many folks in the masses of pictures.

Personally, that made me go through my old pictures and put names, dates and places on the ones I could recognize..and it's not easy after half a century. I'd advise everyone to try to do the same, especially at family get to-gethers.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 PM

I subscribe to ancestry.com and would be willing to do a military search on the name for you if you wish - pm me with the info and I'll see what I can do
Old 11-27-2011, 05:41 PM

Your "lucky find" machine looks to be in good shape. I too hope you can find the young man or his mom.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Wow, your machine came with mixed feelings. Great find with the machine, but the letter is sad.