Acceptable or tacky?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have been in that situation before with one of my DD's. She ordered a magazine to see if I would like it and a book on quilting. Then she started reading it, then the gd's (3 of them-2 can read one is 4 now) and I received the magazine and book with umm shall we say a wee bit used looking and had some scraps for snack later -which were removed on the pages !LOL From family I guess its different-not much .. but different ...LOL
I just took them and read the magazines, and the book was read and on my quilting book shelf. LOL and I agree with your comment BellaBoo
Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM

If you saw someone do a random act of kindness and then saw someone else take credit for it, what would you do?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM

On the other hand ladies....................she may not have extra cash to buy a nicer gift.......times are tough for some..But yes tacky if able to give as others do.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Ewwwww. well hon it's the "thought" that counts. Toss the cover and enjoy the book.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Now that is just plain gross slap in the face!
Why do people join groups if they don't care enough to put some thought and effort into it? That's why I don't do swaps unless there is a minimum value rule. High value doesn't mean high cost, that's the fun for me. To find great value for little money. I am part or four Secret Santas this year and the gifts I bought/made are:

1. Moda Christmas fabric bought last Jan. on clearance (regular 8.99 a yard, marked to $3) and using my Go cut out enough 6 1/2" tumbler blocks to make a queen size quilt top! I bought a nice hat box on clearance for $3 to hold the kit. Cost out of pocket for me- $27 for 8 yards of beautiful fabric plus box.

2. A small Tiffany style reading lamp bought at Lowe's on clearance last spring for $8, regular price $49, Ott bulb on clearance online for $11 regular $39 and free shipping. $19 of of pocket cost.

3. A pretty box full of homemade coffee cake, scones, biscotti, and muffins. Cost: ? Ingredients in my pantry.

4. A large fabric bowl made from cotton clothesline and wrapped in scraps from the above Moda fabric, filled with bath products from Body Works. Cost $16 for the cotton rope and $40 for the bath products. I saved enough $ on the other gifts, I bought the bath products at regular price. Out of pocket cost $56.
wow...I like the #1 gift...I've never thought of doing this, what a great idea...I may copy
Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 AM

LOL, it is terribly tacky however I am used to this behavior. My dad is famous for giving cd's that he has already made a copy of because he loves the music so much.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 AM

actually i find it very funny....sorry but it is something i would never think of doing.....well at least you got a book you wanted to read....lol
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Evidently she doesn't know any better, the fact that she even told you they read the book is the first clue that something is missing with her. It is tacky though.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 AM

you know i was thinking after reading and commenting, and i remember back in the day when i was a younger teacher, we had a present exchange and i got a little pig statuette....i was heavy back then and everyone received nice xmas items ...i had given the pregnant teacher who`s name I had picked a nice body powder for her and one for her baby....back when it was ok to use powder and i spend more money than we were supposed to...lol anyways, i cried when i got back home that evening....and i never participated in gift exchanges after that...never found out who gave it to me..at least a second hand book you can still enjoy....
Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
actually i find it very funny....sorry but it is something i would never think of doing.....well at least you got a book you wanted to read....lol
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM

I think this behaviour is very tacky. When my children were young, the pastor at my church organized an ornament exchange where everyone was to bring an ornament and receive one in return. I recall spending about $15 for a Hallmark ornament which was a lot of money for us at the time. When we went to the exchange, the ornament we received was made by a child out of popsicle sticks and crayon-scribbled paper. My children are in their teens now and I have a few of the "popsicle stick" variety of ornaments they made over the years that I hang on the tree. I keep them just because they were made by my kids, ugly as they are. I was totally insulted when I received someone else's kid's ugly handiwork. Ever since then, I have been of the opinion that if you can't give something nice in this type of exchange, don't give anything at all and don't participate.