Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars >

50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Glad you are joing us. They are 12" finished blocks.

Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
I'm thinking about joining in. How small are the blocks? I don't have the book yet.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM

The first quilt I made was one of the stars from this book. It was a queen sized, I think I did the Oregon star. If you know how to paper piece I don't think you really need the CD. My first star took me over 8 hours since I had never paper pieced. BY the time I finished, 64 stars later I could do one in about an hour. I have thought about doing this. Maybe I will join. I was also planning on doing a Dear Jane quilt.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 PM

This sounds like so much fun!

I just purchased the book through Amazon. I will probably join in on some of the simpler stars, but may bow out on the more complicated ones, as I am new to paper piecing. I am really looking forward to taking this journey with you all!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM

If I can find the book(and afford the purchace price) in time I would love to follow along. I have been wanting to do more with pp than just sample blocks. This could be fun. Thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm in on this one. I have had the book for about 2-3 years - have even taken classes from her. I made a list of all the states I've lived in (my husband and I were military and moved about lots) and was making those specific states - about 15 (including Germany out of Carol's international star book). Anyway, I've got 9 done (including Germany), so I'm ahead by a bit. Haven't taken any pictures of the stars I've done, so will get those taken and post them after the first. Mine are all different, have already chosen the sashing to be used between the blocks and the same for the inner border. Some pre planning here. 50 12" stars with sashing will be a large quilt. Need to save my dimes for the quilter!! Oh, joy, another project to start - and finish!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Her international star book, is that the Mariner's compass star book? I have that one also. Aren't you lucky to have taken a class from her.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Yes, I was lucky to take a class from her. Got her to autograph my books while I was there - thought ahead on that one and brought them with me in my luggage, otherwise I'd have lost that opportunity. She had some wonderful tips that aren't in the book - the main one I use now is - set your stitch to a long basting stitch when joining sections. Start at the top for a short few stitches, skip down (don't cut the thread) sew where the points are to join, continue to the end. Take it off the machine, open and see if your points are matching - if they are, reset your stitch and just sew over the line you've just made. If they aren't matching, you only have to rip (with long stitches, not a real problem) a short part of the join. This has saved me lots of trouble.
Secondly, for those ladies not real familiar with this book - some of the stars have up to 128 pieces in them. They really aren't hard, just take one piece at a time and soon, you'll have all 4 pieces to join for 1 star.
Looking forward to starting!!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:07 AM

I'm going to bookmark this! I've had the book for years also along with the "300 bright and bold" book with the CD but it cracked...but it's just as easy to use without it. I'm looking forward to being a part of this group!!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Some of the books called "used" are brand new -- at least mine was. Don't think the spine was ever cracked open.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 AM

I will be following this thread. I purchased the book and would like to do the blocks. However, as I work full time, I will only be able to do one a month max. But I will be interested in the blocks you all make. So thanks for posting.