Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long will our quilts last?? >

How long will our quilts last??

How long will our quilts last??

Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 AM

When I was a child, we slept under quilts made by my mother's grandmother, who raised her. She must have been born around the 1850s. I don't know when the quilts were made, but it had to be no later than the 1920s or early '30s. They were pretty much in tatters, but what I wouldn't give to have them now. I had no idea what we really had. They were just warm bedding for us. Some of them had become so worn when she still had them that she used the worn ones as batting for the new ones, so they were multi-layer wonders. I don't know if someone will still be using mine a hundred or more years from now -- I just hope they value them more than we did our great-grandmother's.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 AM

I made a quilt as a wedding gift for our son and his wife (they just got married in October of this year). When we stopped at their house the other day I asked them where the quilt was...I made it in the colors of their living room and just the right size for both of them to snuggle under while sitting on the sofa...guess my idea was way different (LOL) than their idea...it is in the plastic bag tucked away in the closet for "safe keeping". They want to keep it nice because I made it for them....grrrrr...I said use it I will make you another one....so some quilts will last forever for some people! LOL
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM

I have all my quilts that my MIL gave us,that was 54 yrs ago, they need some new binding but they are still very good.
I don't think the up comming generation has the same feel for family heirlooms, so ladys enjoy them while we can.

d.swindle
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM

If they are taken care of, I imagine they will out live us.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Incidentally, I saw an idea in Real Simple magazine that I thought was worth remembering ... when old quilts finally wear out, the author suggested cutting out surviving blocks and framing them under glass. I thought this was a great idea for saving a part of a quilt that has special memories but is no longer in serviceable condition.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 PM

The quilt that I received as a wedding gift in 1971 and the one I finished as a home ec project a few years before that was muslin blocks colored with crayons and hand embroidered by my mom and her sister in the 1930s both lasted over 25 years. These two quilts were used constantly and washed and dried frequently. Once they got too threadbare to wash I hung them on a quilt rack along with one that the top had been given to my dad long before he and my mom met in the 1930s. It was also used daily and washed and dried frequently from the time I was in high school until the late 80s/early 90s. I was very sad that they were destroyed when our house burned in 2000.

Last edited by mom-6; 12-14-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 AM

Textile all surcome to time. I have a quilt over 30 years old. It's been boxed in acid free paper and rearly see's light, and no one touches it. That is the only way any quilt last.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:16 AM

Most of the old quilts you see were packed away in a chest in the attic. They were hardly ever used and never washed. Which is why we don't see more of them, they got used up.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 AM

Some of mine were made 30 years ago and people still ask me if I use them, because they are in very good condition. I think they will last for as long as I have the luck to stay upright and I don't suppose I will worry about them after that...
Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood View Post
I think one variable is that people wash their quilts more often these days than they did back before every home had a washing machine/dryer.

The less often you wash a quilt, the longer it will last.

Personally, I don't routinely wash my quilts...only when they show signs of being dirty. That said...since it's just DH & I and we are both clean people, my quilts don't get washed very often.

I learned this from my aunt who quilted all her life and died at the age of 92. She said to only wash the quilts when necessary.
I completely agree. Washing is difficult on quilts and clothes, and we Americans are obsessive about keeping both clean. My sister and her beau are from the Netherlands and have a very different schedule for laundry than we here are comfortable with. I've noticed the same thing in England. It would be easier on us if we relaxed a little...now if I could talk my husband into adjusting his thinking on the matter, I'd be happy. He creates huge piles of laundry because he never wears anything twice. I'm a "wear jeans twice" and "wash sweaters when dirty" kind of gal. I've never had anyone tell me I stink, so that must be acceptable!