Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally bummed out >

Totally bummed out

Totally bummed out

Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 AM

I have a Pfaff expession 2.0 and love it. It has a 9.5 throat and a built in even feed foot. Happy shopping!!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:39 AM

I have a Viking and have been very happy with it so far. Haven't found anything I can't do with it.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by AZTeri View Post
I've been scarce around here because I've been working on mug rugs. Well, yesterday my sewing machine decided it was going to die on me. Something in the bobbin is hitting the needle and hanging is up. I took it to the shop this morning, and they are going to fix it under warranty, because I just had it serviced a few months ago. Unfortunately, they also told me that parts are becoming very scarce for my machine (1976 Singer Futura II 920). It's been a reliable workhorse, and I'm sad to see this happen. She did recommend that I start looking for a new machine and keep this one on hand as a backup, since she doesn't know how much longer any parts will be available.

So, while I'm out of commission until the 20th - with a stack of 18 mug rugs and 10 stockings that I wanted to get done by Christmas - I have been given permission to research a new machine! I'm going to go to a Quilt festival in Phoenix in January where I hope to test drive several different machines to figure out which one I would like to look for, but tell me - what is your preferred machine, and why? I'm not looking for heavy embroidery work, but I do want a big enough throat to handle at the least queen sized quilts, a variety of quilting stitches, fmq abilities (probably all of them?) and low maintenance. Thanks!
Sorry to hear that your machine is on its last legs...bummer!
I'm a bit perplexed...you had to ask for permission to research a new machine??? I'm sorry to hear that, too!
Good luck in your search!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 AM

The Janome 6600 is a great machine with the Acufeed and everything, it just doesn't have a freearm, you can get the Horizon 7700 with the freearm and the Acufeed for about the same price as a new 6600 if you look in the right place. I've seen both in the Northeast for about $1,500 to $2,000.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Default New sewingmachine for AZTeri

To AZTeri
I have a bernina activa 240 and I just love it. It is a work horse. Never a bit of a problem, never jams, perfect machine. I too do coasters and heavy things like rugs, coats etc and this machine never faulters. It goes over the biggest clumps of fabric like the wind. This is the best machine I have ever had. .
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 AM

Please people - permission only means that I asked my dh if it was ok that I start really looking now. He handles the finances in our house and we NEVER make big financial decisions without the other one being on board. Plus, he's the type that looks at every angle, does a lot of research on not only prices but reads all the negative and positive reviews. WE never make a decision that involves a substantial sum of money without doing that. That includes his recent purchase of a 55" flatscreen TV. If I had said that I didn't think it was a good idea, he wouldn't have gotten it! Sheesh.

As far as the other advice, I hadn't looked at Janomes yet. I've looked at Bernina and Viking though and am impressed with both of them. My budget will be in the neighborhood of $1000 or so. I am looking forward to testing several of them out at the show in January though.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Enjoy the trip, I know you'll enjoy it.

First, have your budgetary needs firmly in place.
Then test drive a variety of machines within your budget.
Know the features you need vs want. Fancy stitches are fine, but will you really use them all? Need vs Want.

Which machine do you bond with the most. Which machine can you intuitively work with to your advantage. Which machine can you work with and have an interruption and yet still go back to sewing without any difficulties. Which machine can you visually work with the best. [I remember the old Bernina's with the knobs, I wouldn't have been able to select the correct stitch with my kids around!]

Check for financing if that appeals to you. Know you can pay it off early and most financing plans are no interest for quite a while.

See if you can make a deal on a show machine. They usually offer great deals.

Me: I have a Pfaff. It fits the way I think and work. I also know of a great machine repair person here in the Valley who I make an appointment with and get same day service!

Hope you can bring friends up with you for the Rusty Barn event. PM me and maybe we can meet, though I have a class elsewhere that Thursday.

ali
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

I had a 40 year old Bernina until recently and I loved it. Now I have Janome and I love it more. I always think that the best thing to do is go to shops where you can try out the sewing machines. That way you can find out if the controls are easy to use, how comfortable it is, how easy it is to change feet or change stitch or whatever. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM

If your budget is about $1000, and you want a really great machine, take a look at the Janome 6500. It was discontinued when the Janome 6600 came out, but it is very close in features to the 6600, has almost as many stitches (more than I'll ever use!), and it has been said it is destined to become one of those classic models. It doesn't come with a built in walking foot, but you can put one on. It still has the pedal drive, but I've used those for so long, I'm not sure I want to use a button. They won't sell them in the shops because they are so close to the 6600 in features, and lower in prices, that they can't take the competition. So they're selling them in places like eBay and Amazon. They do come with a warrenty. If you test drive a 6600, that's pretty much what a 6500 is like. They do have the 9" throat, which is larger than most machines, and can handle some pretty good sized quilts. And they are really quality machines.

Now here's the thing with the price. For the longest time, you could buy them for $1,199 --- anywhere. Seemed to be a fixed price, unless you went to the Company web site, where they were priced higher. I was just about to buy one when -- Wow! -- just before Thanksgiving, the price went up to $1,499! Figured it was the pre-Christmas mark up. Doesn't make sense when you could get a brand new 6600 in the shop for a list price of $2,300, and a "haggle price" of $1,800!! So I decided to sit back and wait until the after Christmas sales, and see what happened. Believe me, the machines weren't selling at $1,199. One eBay shop had 900 models to sell, and last I checked, it still had 898 models to sell, and that was over a 4 month period of time. Nobody is going for the higher price. It defies common sense as to why they put the price up! Not selling so raise the price? Doesn't make good marketing sense to me, especially in this economy. So I'm thinking the price is going to drop way down after Christmas. There's only so long they can hang on to merchandise that isn't selling. So we'll see. Anyway, it would be a great machine at a great price if the price comes down closer to $1000 or less. And oh, yes. On eBay, they were also offering free shipping, no small point. But do try out the 6600 Janome first, so you get a feel for what those machines are like.

Just a suggestion. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I too have the Bernina 830. I love the throat size. It's very large. I have the embroidery but don't know how to use it. I get classes from the store I bought my machine from. We haven't gotten to the embroidery part yet. There is so much to learn with this machine. I love everything about it. I just wish my dealer lived closer than 2 hours away.