Spelling

Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM

I don' t get why so many are going off on the original poster. It took me a good while to figure out what DP9 and OBW meant. I don't she was being a snob at all.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

When I first came to the Quilting Board, I saw DH a lot and finally figured it out to be Dear Husband (I think). I see lots of abbreviations like that and don't know what they mean. Could someone tell me what the other ones mean? And tell me if DH actually means Dear Husband?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM

I have a Google tool bar and it has spell check on it so when I am on a site and want to check my spelling I click on that. I am a very bad speller and use it allot. You might what to try that. But for the most part others misspelled words don't bother me. So like I said you can get the Google tool bar and have spell check for this board.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
When I first came to the Quilting Board, I saw DH a lot and finally figured it out to be Dear Husband (I think). I see lots of abbreviations like that and don't know what they mean. Could someone tell me what the other ones mean? And tell me if DH actually means Dear Husband?
Usually dear or darling, but sometimes we "think" another word in its place. Take your pick of words beginning with d... LOL
Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Dunster, I have to use iSpell as well...thanks Internet Explorer! Instead of going to Tools, you can also right click, choose Check Spelling in the pop-up dialog box. A littler easier that way. HTH!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
It has been proven that when proofing a message the writer will sometimes read what they wanted to say instead of proofing what if typed. I know some times after I have posted and read my messages I find a few oops but I know everyone will get the general idea of the message. Keep on posting!
I think this says it best. I don't think the original poster was being intolerant...just curious. I am a typist of decades duration. No typist can accurately proofread their own work. I try to proof every post I make but I'm sure I still have mistakes in the message. I try not to use too many abbreviations but sometimes there are 'givens' in an English-speaking and/or quilters world. But I will admit that sometimes I get frustrated as well with some of the spellings in posts/emails that I receive. Then again, I get frustrated with some friends' pronunciations of words as well...kind of like nails on a chalkboard. I don't comment - just go along for the ride.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 PM

I've only come across one post in the the time I have been here that I could not make out what the poster was asking. There were others though who seemed to understand exactly what the topic was however and replied with understandable answers. When I type here, I get red ziggy underlining under the words that I'm spelling incorrectly. I have learned a trick, on my PC at least, that I can go up to the main search bar on my PC and start to type in a word. Then a list drops down with suggestions and I can usually choose the correct word from that list and figure out how I'm SUPPOSED to be spelling it. For me a lifetime of spinal compression has caused comprehension problems with my brain so that spelling has become difficult for me. Add to that that even though I proof read every post there is something missing in my brain that allows me to leave out whole words at a time and rereading does not let me see my error in this. But if I go back to continue reading an older post that has had more replies I will see that a word is missing at that time. It's very frustrating so I don't post as often as I would like to. We all just do the best that we can and we must all be tolerant of others short comings because often, there is nothing that can be done about it.

Last edited by Rose L; 12-15-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM

After grading 7th graders' English papers for many years, I can just about read and make sense of anything here.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:38 AM

Spell checkers! My seatmate in economics got her weekly paper back with a bright red circle right in the middle of the first sentence with the comment, Don't you mean DEFICIT? But I used the spell checker, she wailed. The young lady on the other side and I leaned over to look, then nearly fell off our chairs LOAO. The word circled was defecate.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

I agree. I am not the world's best speller but I still want to share my thought's and idea's with others.
Originally Posted by sandybuttons View Post
who cares how things are spelled, I just want to share with all of you