Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online? >

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 AM

Since I do not drive, I sometimes need to order online, but my first choice is to visit the 2 LQS in my area (about 45–60 minutes), but in January one of them... Stitch (out of Whitefield NH) will be relocating to downtown Littleton NH, a mere 20 minutes away! YIPPEE!!! I'm so happy, I'm doing the happy dance!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 AM

I prefer buying at the LQS. I like to see the fabric in person and feel it. I've bought on line before but like the idea of seeing the fabric for myself before buying.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM

I used to have a local quilt shop, but she was a sewing machine shop first, and the fabric was very limited. She probably didn't have more than 100-150 bolts at any one time. Then she moved over a half-hour away, with the roads in between that are hilly, narrow and twisty-turny - some turns down to 15 MPH because they're so bad. Add snow or ice on top of that, and I don't make it to her shop much anymore. I do most of my shopping online, and feel I get a lot more for my money than at most quilt shops. I don't always look for the newest fabrics, either, so that probably makes a difference in how much I spend. I guess it really IS up to each individual....
Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 AM

I've never purchases fabric on line yet. Scrolling through all of the choices is much more difficult for me than strolling through my LQS. I just can't get a feel for the fabric on line. Going to my LQS is like visiting with friends. They are always interested in what I'm making. They do offer a good selection of classes and have a wonderful retreat center where I can go to sandwich my larger quilts. They also have a customer loyalty program which I really appreciate. The other day I spent $90 in points to my purchase so I walked out of the store with only a $125 hit to my check book rather than a $215! They so have a wonderful selection of fabric but freely admit that they can't carry everything and don't expect it from everyone. But they do do their best to cultivate each customer for repeat business.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM

I shop almost exclusively at one LQS. There is one near my house and I try to give her 90-95% of my business. I know if we do not frequent these shops we can't really complain if they don't order the new stuff. It's hard to purchase new with no money coming in. I work near another local shop and rarely frequent it. They have an absolutely beautiful shop but the owners and employees are anything but friendly. I wonder sometimes how they stay in business but I think they cater to a certain clientele. If I need something the LQS does not have I try and run by Hancocks. I rarely shop online. I'm a visual person and like to feel the fabric before I buy
Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 AM

I only live a 45 minute drive to Hancocks of Paducah. I LOVE that place. The local shop in town is not helpful at all and prices are too high for the quality of the fabric she carries. So off to Paducah, I am so fortunate to live that near .
Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 AM

I try to shop at my local LQS as much as possible. I also take classes there. I support it as much as I can as they are also the only Bernina dealer around. I am 10 minutes away from them and over an hour away from the next dealer so it is important to me, even though I know I am paying more. I figure I save it in the long run, plus I now have a personal relationship with the shop owner and her husband, the repairman. Most of the fabric I purchase online is wide backing, which I generally buy from www.backsidefabrics.com.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 AM

Hi Jim, I'm not real sure on what thread but did I not see someone mention a couple of quilt shops in Louisville?
Would be nice if there were....
I have to go 40-60 miles for a quilt shop and chains... bummer!!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM

The closest shop to me is 20 miles away in one direction and 50 miles in the other direction. If I have to have something I know the closest one has I will usually buy there but like has been said before much of her stuff is old. She does buy some new but it would be nice if she had a sale and closed out some of the old. If I go the other direction I have access to several shops and the malls. Don't shop much online. Besides the fabric being old the building where her shop is has an old moldy smell to it and it stays on the fabric until it is washed. I hate the smell and I don't think it is very healthy to bring in into my home.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 AM

Ilive in a small town (450 people) and the nearest LQS are either out of my price range for my income, or too far for me to drive. I use the nearest one occasionally, but most of my shopping is done at Joanns, wallie world or on line. I just check the fabric closely at the stores, and for the on line ones, well...I haven't been disappointed yet and buying enough to get the free shipping works. I just have to wait til I save enough to shop. Luckily many of my friends know I quilt and turn me on to free stuff. smile.