Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Okay, So Riddle Me This.... >

Okay, So Riddle Me This....

Okay, So Riddle Me This....

Old 12-24-2011, 04:38 AM

We live in very different times. This last generation was so brainwashed they had to EMPOWER their children, respect for others is almost non existent. I know in our schools the main problem with the kids is the parents. Kids don't think about whether their actions will affect anyone else.
MaryKatherine
Old 12-24-2011, 04:41 AM

Well, funny you should mention this subject....last night I was settling into my bubble bath when I heard fireworks from next door. I live out in the sticks with 8 houses on our quiet little lane. The people next door were having some friends over. Now the man knows my dogs are petrified of gunshots, fireworks, and thunder, but he insists on setting them off anyway. My dogs are not little...a 125 pound Great Dane and a 95 pound Rottweiler mix. I thought they were going to jump in the tub with me (they both hate baths). I just don't understand people sometimes. I have to keep my walk-in closet door open in inclement weather so if it thunders, the dogs can retreat in there. People are so inconsiderate these days.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

The picture of you with dogs clamoring all over is pretty funny. Luckily everything turned out alright.

Be glad my brother doesn't live near you. He likes to attach a long piece of heavy string or masking tape to a helium balloon, light the end of it and let the balloon go. When it explodes there's quite a "BOOM" and a pretty impressive fireball but it's always high enough that there's no danger.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:57 AM
elm

I moved to Florida from Massachusetts when I retired. I discovered when I moved down here that a lot of people in this area are in love with fireworks. They set them off frequently around any holiday.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:17 AM

I am glad you didn't get hurt. I can relate. Here in Texas we are still in a drought,but they still set them off, even after the large fires we has earlier in the year. We are in the city limits too,but no one does anything to stop it.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Fireworks is illegal here in Vt. but just ignored. We have neighbors that set off fireworks slowly for hours on every holiday and other "joyous" occasions. Our 100# Golden Retriever goes nuts and this makes for some pretty miserable evenings. We don't really get along with these neighbors because of other issues like this so asking them to stop is out of the question. The police filter calls and would probably not even respond. You would have to go to a selectboard and then nothing can be decided, it would take years and would never be enforced anyhow, just a losing battle. Vt. really is like that old sitcom with Bob Newhart.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy View Post
Fireworks is illegal here in Vt. but just ignored. We have neighbors that set off fireworks slowly for hours on every holiday and other "joyous" occasions. Our 100# Golden Retriever goes nuts and this makes for some pretty miserable evenings. We don't really get along with these neighbors because of other issues like this so asking them to stop is out of the question. The police filter calls and would probably not even respond. You would have to go to a selectboard and then nothing can be decided, it would take years and would never be enforced anyhow, just a losing battle. Vt. really is like that old sitcom with Bob Newhart.
My experience with complaining has been that the problem then just escalates. In my instance, I am very close with my neighbors, but when he has a little too much to drink, he gets a little crazy. I told his wife that the next time he decides to set off fireworks to please call me about an hour ahead of time so I can drug the dogs. Think he will do that?!?!? Nah!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 06:34 AM

In this neighborhood, there's some person(s) who do the firecracker thing before, during, and after every holiday, each year. I've always had suspicions that it's adult-aged person(s) - in years, if not mentality.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Just thank God that they are setting off fireworks and not out shooting their guns into the air. With many people knowing that your animals are scared of loud noises and go nuts when they hear them would be all the reason they need to set off the fireworks. Maybe you could play some Bach or
Strauss super loud around midnight sometime.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Blow off some voice fire works of your own. It won't do any good even if they hear it, but might make you feel better. How big is your lap?