Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Let them eat the cookies.... >
  • Let them eat the cookies....

• Let them eat the cookies....

Old 12-24-2011, 04:55 PM

We were also treated like we weren't important to my mother, and not just at Christmas time. She always treated her friends and strangers better than her children (still does) and I can't understand that. You have a great tradition going, and your children and family will have such good memories! I do the same with my kids and we've had some good laughs, though strange looking cookies!
    Old 12-24-2011, 05:07 PM

You know when I bake or make something good, I tell all to eat now, it's as good as it's ever going to be. ha. Barny
    Old 12-24-2011, 05:45 PM

The only cookies I make now is Toll House that I send to my sons and their families at Christmas. When my youngest son was still living with us and I would make the cookies I would put out so many and tell hubby and son that that was all so eat them slowly. Then the next time I would take some more out and tell them the same thing. This would go on till all the cookies were REALLY gone and then they would think I was holding out. If I would have let them have them all they would have been gone all the same day I baked them! Seems mean but it sure was fun! Now all the kids are in Florida and Hubby is diabetic and can't eat too many of them but I do save a batch for us (he cheats a little) and the other three batches go to Florida for the winter. Been a Christmas tradition since the boys were toddlers and if they didn't get their cookies they would be very disappointed.
    Old 12-24-2011, 07:56 PM

isn't it so healing of our inner child to do something as a parent the way we wished it had been done for us? I often feel so much better after doing something differently from my mom in a way for my daughter just as if I were the little girl. Simple things, like being allowed to lick up the extra I'd scooped from the bowl instead of adding it to the baking pan.

Happy holidays!
    Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
    We were also treated like we weren't important to my mother, and not just at Christmas time. She always treated her friends and strangers better than her children (still does) and I can't understand that. You have a great tradition going, and your children and family will have such good memories! I do the same with my kids and we've had some good laughs, though strange looking cookies!
    I few of us have learned a valuable lesson from our mother. I don't know why my mom did this also. Hey I was never smart enough to take from the freezer. I think she needed validation from others because my dad family were not very complimentary. Glad to hear so many of us put our families first.
    Old 12-25-2011, 04:45 PM

You know, nyc, I think you hit the nail on the head. How many times as a child did you think, when I grow up I won't treat my kids that way. Sometimes the most important lesson we learn from others is to be different.

Originally Posted by nycquilter
    isn't it so healing of our inner child to do something as a parent the way we wished it had been done for us? I often feel so much better after doing something differently from my mom in a way for my daughter just as if I were the little girl. Simple things, like being allowed to lick up the extra I'd scooped from the bowl instead of adding it to the baking pan.

Happy holidays!
    Old 12-25-2011, 05:21 PM

These were great reminders. My MIL taught me that we can learn something from everyone, even if it is what not to do. I have baked cookies for over 30 years for Christmas and for 22 years of a wonderful marriage, I would always have a special plate or pretty can to put a sample of each cookie baked for my husband's personal treat before any body else got to taste them. This year, I was not able to do that becasue my precious husband passed in August. I am so grateful for the many years that I did.

Secondly, I baked cookies this year with a two year old niece. Her mom felt she was making a grand mess, but I shared that she was a baker in training. I gave her her very own spoon, bowl, and pie tin to put her 'creations'. I baked her little marbles and other decorated shapes. She was even able to use the cookike stamps effectively. Boy was she proud and so was her mom.

Secondly I did bake this year with a 2 year old niece. Her mom thought she was making a grand mess; I suggsted that she was a chef in training. I gave her her own bowl of dough, personal pie pan to
    Old 12-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks for sharing-you have a wonderful attitude!
    Old 12-25-2011, 07:28 PM

You mean you're not supposed to eat the first batch of anything that comes out of the oven? haha
    Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM

The solution is to always make an extra batch (or extra cake) for the family. They always know that there is a little set aside for them to enjoy.
    The way I figure, the bowls and ingredients are already out so what's a little more to do? No one complains.