Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Orca bay mystery picture thread >

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
Crabs?

An earlier measuring error came back to bite me. EVERY bottom white point was lost. After a long and bitter (ok short and sweet) conversation with myself I decided that since it happened in every one it looks intentional. Besides there are no quilt police here

Sorry Bonnie.
No one but you will know it is not suppose to be that way! It will look just fine when you are done! Great colors!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:33 AM

sammy... those are beautiful. I like the extra color you added. Gives it even more character lol. This is the layout I was thinking would be possible. We will have to wait until tomorrow to be sure though (but I still have a long way to go for this one lol)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:53 AM

I must be losing it. I cut my red string squares to measure 5.5 inches and then cut diagonally. That gives me a 7 7/8" side. When I sew on the two black and neutral triangles, I have a rectangle which measures 7" after removing the dog legs. How in the world can I get a 6 1/2" side? I just noticed there is another cut on the red triangles, but the instructions are only for the Companion Angle. How can I do that cut without the companion angle? And why in the world did we start with a 5.5 inch square if we're going to keep cutting off fabric?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:54 AM

Sammy, love your layout. What a great quilt!
Still hope to catch up more today. I have 95 left to do in step #5, shouldn't take me very long. Then on to six, which I have really been looking forward to since that is the first step that really starts putting thing together.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:11 AM

sammygirlqt: love how all your parts are put together--very pretty--that is the layout I am thinking may be "the one!" I don't have enough done to do that as yet. Still sewing along on my string blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299111[/ATTACH]
I have both sizes and colors to finish sewing--then I will need to square them up!!!Here's a pic of my red-burgandy-purple strings.I'm about halfway done sewing these.

Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	purple strings.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	299111  
Old 12-31-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by In the woods View Post
I must be losing it. I cut my red string squares to measure 5.5 inches and then cut diagonally. That gives me a 7 7/8" side. When I sew on the two black and neutral triangles, I have a rectangle which measures 7" after removing the dog legs. How in the world can I get a 6 1/2" side? I just noticed there is another cut on the red triangles, but the instructions are only for the Companion Angle. How can I do that cut without the companion angle? And why in the world did we start with a 5.5 inch square if we're going to keep cutting off fabric?
Mine are the same way. I'm holding off till the next clue to see how it fits together. I suspect that that's the finished size... I could be wrong though
Old 12-31-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by In the woods View Post
You can cut your 5.5 inch squares down to 5 1/8" and then cut the diagonal. This is what I did because I found it easier than trimming a scant off of triangles. I have done so much scant trimming on this quilt but it does pay off in the end. Your blocks go together so much easier when everything is the right size. I am quite sure my layout is not the final result because there wouldn't be enough blue squares but it is fun to play.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM

OK...I went back and read ALL the directions... now that my 5.5 inch squares are already cut diagonally, it will be a little difficult, but not impossible to get the 5 1/8" measurement. Thanks for the help. If I ever get all the wing triangles done, then I can attach them to my newly cut red string triangles.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Default Just finished my RED string blocks

AT last! Have not sliced the squares yet. Now I am on to part 5, the great 700 black triangles.

Picture 1 are my blocks, picture 2 if of this morning's sunrise. Colors seem to coordinate very well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 01 01 Orca Bay part 4 002.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	299772   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 01 01 Orca Bay part 4 003.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	299773  
Old 01-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
AT last! Have not sliced the squares yet. Now I am on to part 5, the great 700 black triangles.

Picture 1 are my blocks, picture 2 if of this morning's sunrise. Colors seem to coordinate very well.
I'm not a big fan of Red but those are beautiful!!! So is the sunrise!