Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I need an opinion on this machine, please >

I need an opinion on this machine, please

I need an opinion on this machine, please

Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

looks great, well cared for! The cabinet is stunning!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 AM

The cabinet is beautiful I would pay well over 150 for it alone.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 AM

The cabinet is in good shape so that is what I would be paying the money for as I believe other machines still fit in that size. The machine is after Singer started using nylon gears in the internals I believe. It may still work but not worth any money in my book as don't know how long it would last. I would take off the top and look in to see if you can see if any of the gears are cracked.

I would offer them $30 and see what they say.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM

Be sure you try it out before buying. Starting in the late 1960's the gears and other parts were nylon/plastic, and they wore out with a lot of use. They cost more to fix than they are worth. If you hear any clunking or squealing at all, don't buy it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM

I bought it's sister in 1967 or 1968 for $150.00. I still use it occasionally when the computer machines act up. It is easy to clean and work on. I have serviced it myself and it is nearly foolproof. The soft, pretty blue is sure easy on the eyes. Most of the issues are with the tension system and the disks are right there and easy to clean. It only does zig zag, with no extras, but it has the most beautiful marrow or satin stitch for applique of all my machines, especially the computerized ones. Set the stitch length at NEARLY zero. You will need to practice to find whch is right for you. With this machine, you are the boss and it will not try to retrain you with messages on a screen. You can sew very slowly or very fast. The foot controller is sensitive and responsive. I still love it and have the manual. It is somewhat loud when sewing on a table, but then you have the lovely cabinet, so it should be quieter, if it has rubber dampeners in the cabinet. Feet are available at sewing machine stores. This would be a good machine for a young learner, as it is so simple to operate. As far as I know and feel, this was one of the last, good, Singers. Congradulations on your new treasure.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM

My previous post didn't go through.
I bought it's sister in 1968 for $150.00 plus tax. It has been a real workhorse since then. It makes prettier satin stitch for applique than my new computerized machines. Of all the machines, this is the easiest to use and clean. I have had it all apart to clean it and it still works today. Most of the concerns have been with the tension (upper). The disks are right there and easy to inspect and clean. The bobbin hasn't given any trouble like computized machines. It likes all thread and is very forgiving. It does require LIGHT oiling periodically. Easy does it. Manuals are on the internet, I've checked this. This would be a good machine for a young sewer, as it is hard to screw up during use. Attachments are readily available at sewing machine shops. I have had a lot of machines, but this is the most honest and foolproof of them all. The stitch is pretty too. Congradulations on your purchase.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
The cabinet alone is worth $50.00!
Ditto-the cabinet looks beautiful and there is nothing like these old mechanical machines. OSMG's (Old Sewing Machine Goddesses!) And if it has its manual and attachments it is even more of a steal!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. I knew this was the place to ask. I found your forum about 2 weeks ago and have been reading myself blind. I haven't bought this machine yet, but I probably will. I love the cabinet too. And I want a good old sewing machine. I have a treadle but have never used it. I can now learn how from this forum. Thanks again!
Vicki
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Looks beautiful, worth every penny.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM

O a pretty blue one.
Love it.
J J