Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Question - >

New Question -

New Question -

Old 01-05-2012, 03:15 AM

My quilting frame, a light that "hugs" your neck, cams for a machine that didn't fit, fabric for scraps (I don't piece!)... Jury's still out on the quilting machine that I got with the frame.... I'm sure there's more.
My husband is my best "gadget"
Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 AM

I bought a gadget to cut circles and what a mess it makes! It certainly doesn't cut circles!
Another bad purchase was a little iron from Joann's that didn't get hot enough. Fortunately is was cheap because I got so frustrated with it, I tossed it!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM

Fons and Porter rulers. Waste of money as there are much easier rulers to use.
Bobbin winder that makes a mess.
Specialty rulers like the xblock which I have never used since I lost interest before I got around to use them.
June Taylor shape cutter ruler, just not worth it and its just as easy to use a regular ruler and no folding the fabric to fit the ruler.
I love may rotary cutting mat and use it alot and if you twist the rotary cutter blade sharpener back and forth alot with a little pressure they do work.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

For me it was a hexagon ruler that i could never figure out how to use. The rotary cutter blade sharpener was truly the worst.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I bought a "new" Gingher seam ripper, the one with the curved blade...what a joke! The blade is too wide at the top to even come close to getting into a seam...guess I could always just saw the material away....IMHO, it's a huge waste of time and money!
So true. Expensive mistake!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Great thread...no pun intended...lol
For me it's the Simplicity Rotary Cutter and Bias Tape Machine. I am just totally unimpressed with both of them! I can't get the rotary cutter cranked down tight enough so the fabric doesn't slip and slide going thru. Results are strips that are most definitely NOT straight, unuseable and wasting the fabric! I like the bias tape maker slightly better and hopefully with some practice I can get it to work correctly. BIG WASTE OF MONEY on my part!!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM

This thread could be so helpful to everyone especially if we list the problems we are having with the items. I am especially happy to read about the rotary blade sharpener as I was considering purchasing one. I kept hesitating because I wasn't hearing any big rave reviews on them. Now I know why! So thank you to those who posted about them.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM

I just get so mad at myself for buying whatever the newest thing is to make quilting easier to be more perfect. I don't need easy because I love quilting. And I have finally learned that perfect isn't where I should be headed. I can never be that. I am finally beginning to say to myself, "Wait a bit and think about it." It certainly has helped. Now to use all the "STUFF" I didn't really need.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 AM

So many rulers, used once or not at all. Bobbin winder works well but just don't need it with my Phaff.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 AM

Default Rotary Sharpener

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I don't buy too many gadgets and can't think of any I regret----------except maybe the rotary blade sharpener. Doesn't work too well.
sew glad you put that on here I seen one last night as a matter of fact they were 2 of them.I actually thought of buying one but I am second guessing my self.You you send me a pm to let me know which one you have.