Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date >

2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Here is the first picture of my center for the IRR. It is still a work in progress. I have no idea what to do with the corners, and not sure I shouldn't have used a cream instead of the white. Right now it will measure about a 20" square, so I can add another border if you all think it needs it!
Do you think it needs a small border at this point or should I just wait and let Colleta decide? And what to I do with the corners? Do I add something or just leave them plain?
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uAI_9RibNE...0/IMG_0320.JPG[/img]
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Teacup
Yes, I like it. I'll have to actually try out strips of the gingham to see if it will work with a darker "shadow". I kind of feel like doing applique of a grid rather than actual pieceing is "cheating" but since I don't want to cut into the large central flower, this is probably the best option.
Well, you know ... when I am looking through a window pane or my lattice work panels, part of the scenery disappears, covered by the pane. If you cut, insert the pieces, sew back together, the smaller flowers would never line up again with such a "flow" ... but, either way, it will be very pretty ...
do hydrangeas grow in acid soil, or sweet? (alkaline)? Thinking <g> the type of soil gives me ideas for the "flavor" of the borders ...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Teacup, if you really want to piece, you can fussy cut the larger flowers and put them in the "windows", and use the smaller ones in blocks around the edges.
Ahhh, but then I get into the whole "on point" thing, and setting triangles, and who knows what else...and I'm not sure if, being a newbie quilter, and math-challenged to boot, I'm up to all that yet. I'll have to think about whether the amount of work and possible frustration balance out the end result, which would likely have a similar appearance to the applique method. Maybe I can experiment with a differnt fabric and make a sample to see how it works.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Banned

the diagonal grid looks great!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 AM

Teacup, the diagonal grid looks wonderful. The diagonals going from upper right to lower left in the picture should be switched to have the darker fabric on the bottom. It'll reflect shadows better, oriented that way.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by Teacup
Yes, I like it. I'll have to actually try out strips of the gingham to see if it will work with a darker "shadow". I kind of feel like doing applique of a grid rather than actual pieceing is "cheating" but since I don't want to cut into the large central flower, this is probably the best option.
Well, you know ... when I am looking through a window pane or my lattice work panels, part of the scenery disappears, covered by the pane. If you cut, insert the pieces, sew back together, the smaller flowers would never line up again with such a "flow" ... but, either way, it will be very pretty ...
do hydrangeas grow in acid soil, or sweet? (alkaline)? Thinking <g> the type of soil gives me ideas for the "flavor" of the borders ...
Good point about the frame of the windows.
Hydrangeas like acidic soil overall. For some varieities, the more acid you have the flowers tend toward the blue/purple. With less acid, they go toward pink. I'm not sure what increasing or decreasing the acid does for white hydrangeas. I put in three "Limelight" this year and they are still small...flowers start out green but have gone white now at the end of the summer.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Teacup, the diagonal grid looks wonderful. The diagonals going from upper right to lower left in the picture should be switched to have the darker fabric on the bottom. It'll reflect shadows better, oriented that way.
Thanks. I'll experiment with changing that.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Here is the first picture of my center for the IRR. It is still a work in progress. I have no idea what to do with the corners, and not sure I shouldn't have used a cream instead of the white. Right now it will measure about a 20" square, so I can add another border if you all think it needs it!
Do you think it needs a small border at this point or should I just wait and let Colleta decide? And what to I do with the corners? Do I add something or just leave them plain?
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninnie, I LOVE your idea for your center. This quilt will be a great keepsake and conversation piece. I think a small border to bring it out to 24 inches if you want it that large is all you need. Personally, I'd keep the corners simple to allow the eye to focus on the embroidered words.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uAI_9RibNE...0/IMG_0320.JPG[/img]
Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 AM

So, this is the way I want the block .... but <g> I still want to mess with those trangulations and then I called my friend who has the program and asked her if she would print out four sheets of trangulations at two inch finished size.
The trangulations program/CD is not costly $30 ... and, I would buy one of my own, but my friend said that she didn't see why I should spend that if she already had it. It is a good conversation thing <g>
anyway, here is the corrected block (so far)

I think this is the right one?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26767[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-49051.jpe
Views:	49
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	49051  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

It looks great Omak! The colors just pop! I love it.