Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are methods allowed to be shared? >

Are methods allowed to be shared?

Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

Dear Jane (I believe) is a trademarked term. There was a case a few years ago where someone made a quilt of this pattern and advertised on ebay to sell it. The maker called it "A Dear Jane" quilt. This was the problem.
The original quilt (to my understanding) is not copyrighted. If my fading memory is correct, the name was changed to to something like "in the style of the Jane Stickle Quilt which is in the Bennington Vt museum.
I also believe the term "Stack-N-Whack" is also a name which is under a trademark.
The case I wrote about above of a quilter and her trapumto method involved a Patent and not a copyright or trademark. At the time i knew someone who worked in the Patent Office in Washington DC and I called them and asked why a Patent was given on a technique that had been used for many many years and was told "the examiner didn't know needlework". So guess care is the word to use in these situations.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Holice, Betty Cotton also has a patent on her french seam method used in Cotton Theory (which I believe is a trademarked term). Just FYI.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
Please don't think I believe your question is silly. In our litigious age, it is a good question. However, I want all of you to know that I have written an essay on my blog about the method I use to load my dishwasher and if I catch any of you quoting from that essay, discussing whether it is a good way to load a dishwasher, or writing to your newly married son or daughter any part of my method of loading a dishwasher, I will sue your socks off! froggyintexas
Thank you. You brought a chuckle from me while being angry at all the copyright infringement possibilities.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Dandish View Post
This, exactly. OP, my reply is not directed at you, so please don't be offended.

I have come across several of these threads and discussions, and I've finally figured out WHY they "get my goat" so much.

All this "dont share!" and "that's MY idea" seems to be to be the antithesis of quilting. For many, many years quilters have been sharing - patterns, blocks, material, ideas, methods, etc - why someone would feel the need to be SO stringent with "their" idea is beyond me. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not begrudge anyone making a living from their original ideas, but really? How many truly original ideas are there in the quilting world. Also, as long as one is using something for their own personal use and NOT making money/profit from it (in no way would I defend making copies of someone's claimed pattern and selling them) why should there be a problem? I've spent, I'm sure, thousands of dollars in books, patterns, etc, over the years, and if those authors really think I shouldn't share a thing or a bit of information, I'd gladly send their stuff back to them and not buy anything of theirs ever again. Look at those who share freely - take Leah Day for example - I'd much rather look to them because to me that embodies the spirit of quilting I like best - share the fun, knowledge, excitement of it all. I'm sure she's making money from the things she does sell and she is very generous with her ideas and knowledge.

I see a lot of quilts with "names" on them that are NOT original patterns and have wondered exactly WHY is being called an original pattern? Fabric selection? Because somebody stuck their name on it? I don't think that's right, either.

Maybe I'm a moralless scofflaw, but I'd share my pattern or my book with anybody who is interested. If I know how to do something and somebody wants to learn, I'm there. Want to take me to court? Go for it.

Again, that's just ME. YMMV.
Wonderfully put......Thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
RST

A dear sweet young blogger "invented" a brand new and exciting quilt block last year. Bless her heart, it was a 9-patch. Her innovation, so far as I could see, was that she didn't press at all.

Unfortunately, someone who is very uninformed can, and may well believe that they have created something original -- and then get all bent out of shape if people "copy" or "plagiarize".

I'm a strong supporter of artist's and writer's rights -- but I won't be forced to buy a book for a class if I want to check it out of the library or refer to it as an e-book online. And I think it's ridiculous to try to *own* a concept.

RST
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Given that it is a new method, I think it would be wrong of an LQS to offer a class in the method without requiring students to purchase the book. Once a method becomes very commonplace, it's less of an issue, but you wouldn't even know about the method except for having read that book.

I agree with the poster that says she won't be forced to buy a book for a class if she gets it from the library - however, it would be impractical to teach a class and expect the library to provide copies of the book for all participants. Photocopies would be unacceptable as it is not personal use.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 01-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 AM

I'd not worry about sharing a "method". Besides, who knows, Janie Jones in Timbuktu may have come up with the same method and happily shared it with anyone interested.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
Was Eleanor Burns the first to do chain piecing? Did other copy this METHOD? Or is that a METHOD? How about strip piecing?? Just wondering??
Question can't be answered. Your great grandmother might have done the same----------and not written a book.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
Please don't think I believe your question is silly. In our litigious age, it is a good question. However, I want all of you to know that I have written an essay on my blog about the method I use to load my dishwasher and if I catch any of you quoting from that essay, discussing whether it is a good way to load a dishwasher, or writing to your newly married son or daughter any part of my method of loading a dishwasher, I will sue your socks off! froggyintexas
ROTFLMAO!!! Thanks Froggy!!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dandish View Post
This, exactly. OP, my reply is not directed at you, so please don't be offended.

I have come across several of these threads and discussions, and I've finally figured out WHY they "get my goat" so much.

All this "dont share!" and "that's MY idea" seems to be to be the antithesis of quilting. For many, many years quilters have been sharing - patterns, blocks, material, ideas, methods, etc - why someone would feel the need to be SO stringent with "their" idea is beyond me. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not begrudge anyone making a living from their original ideas, but really? How many truly original ideas are there in the quilting world. Also, as long as one is using something for their own personal use and NOT making money/profit from it (in no way would I defend making copies of someone's claimed pattern and selling them) why should there be a problem? I've spent, I'm sure, thousands of dollars in books, patterns, etc, over the years, and if those authors really think I shouldn't share a thing or a bit of information, I'd gladly send their stuff back to them and not buy anything of theirs ever again. Look at those who share freely - take Leah Day for example - I'd much rather look to them because to me that embodies the spirit of quilting I like best - share the fun, knowledge, excitement of it all. I'm sure she's making money from the things she does sell and she is very generous with her ideas and knowledge.

I see a lot of quilts with "names" on them that are NOT original patterns and have wondered exactly WHY is being called an original pattern? Fabric selection? Because somebody stuck their name on it? I don't think that's right, either.

Maybe I'm a moralless scofflaw, but I'd share my pattern or my book with anybody who is interested. If I know how to do something and somebody wants to learn, I'm there. Want to take me to court? Go for it.

Again, that's just ME. YMMV.
I've seen un-original patterns being called original. What? A particular cloth selection?