Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you pack for a workshop or class? >

How do you pack for a workshop or class?

How do you pack for a workshop or class?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM

I use a rubbermaid tote to carry my machine and fabric. I have a nice fishing lure box I use for my notions and I generally keep it well stocked since I take it to other sewing groups. I carry all this using a luggage carrier. The rubbermaid tote goes on bottom and the fishing box on top, then the entire thing wheels around easily. The advantage of a plastic tote over a soft carrier is that the entire thing is completely waterproof, something handy in my climate!

I do always check the supply list for the class, but I usually add a few things based on experience. I always bring good scissors, thread nippers, seam ripper, marking supplies, lots of bobbins, threads, and all my sewing machine feet. If it's a quilt class I bring rotary cutting supplies, even when the list says the class includes them. There is always competition for the rotary cutters and mats!

Pam
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM

I think it is a nuisance to pack for classes. I have had to buy a rolling case for my machine, with exterior pockets for stuff. (Joanne's with a coupon) I have a regular class on Monday's so now I know what they've got (irons) and what they don't (a decent cutting mat - theirs is chewed up!)
What I do is sit at my table and grab everything I would normally be using for whatever tasks I will have to do at class. I pack extra needles, extra thread.
If I have fabric I have already cut out, I bring extra pieces as I find it hard to concentrate in a room full of happy chatty people who all can quilt in their sleep and use their machines blindfolded, and I sometimes get distracted and miscut or mess up a piece of fabric.
I fold a quilt over a padded coat hanger and cover it in a drycleaning bag.
Small tools and stuff, and cut out pieces of fabric, I put in cheapie food storage containers, and I put folded fabric in large plastic bags unless there is too much and then I use the coat hanger.
Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.
My machine repair person told me not to leave the machine in the car overnight regularly if it gets down to freezing. I had thought maybe I'd bring my old clunker to classes and leave it in the car, and keep my lovely little Janome safe at home, but no such thing.

Good luck - it is a lot of fun despite the packing!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Don't forget to put your name on your stuff!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Seems no matter what I take, I always forget something....With that in mind, I now pretty much take everything but the kitchen sink.......Might be overkill, but if someone forgets something, I'll usually have it to give them....
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
SEW

I limit myself to my rolling case for my sewing machine and 1 tote bag. In addition to my FW, the machine case holds a plastic bin with all my sewing supplies. scissors, pins, rotary, seam ripper, thimble thread, extra bobbins, extra machine needles, chalk marker etc. and pattern/fabric for my current project. Tote bag carries all the extra stuff, additional fabric, small cutting mat and any books, magazines or patterns I think I "have to" bring. Just remember...whatever you lug in, you have to lug back out at the end of the class!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Oh my! You ladies take more to a class than I have in my sewing room. I am doing a BOM at the LQS this year & didn't plan to take anything. Also, going to a retreat & planned to take one ruler, rotary cutter, scissors, fabric & bobbins for my machine. I am afraid now I will be woefully unprepared. But, I am flying there.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM

I went to my workshops this weekend and used some of the suggestions you guys gave. I only forgot one thing, but as quilters are so generous, someone shared with me.~Thanks, everyone.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Great replies and ideas here. I also take a notepad and pen as I can never remember the great tips and ideas from classes.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM

While you are sewing, jot down everything you touch and use. That is where you need to start. I have a packing list that I started when I go on retreats. I adjust it yearly, but it is a start. I also over pack, but since I have my car with me, I leave some of my UFO's in my car and when I have time for them I run out to the car. Last retreat, I didn't bring enough different colored threads, so I made a note about that. I'll be glad to send you my list. Just email me at [email protected] I can't figure out how to send it to you privately since it would be an attachment. My retreats are at least three days, so I included more than just sewing things on my packing list.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 AM

I follow DH's advice on packing: Take only what you can carry without assistance. (He did not specify the number of trips to and from the car and also did not take into account how much a woman who is too lazy to make more than one trip can drag along and carry at once!) The lists above cover it all. It als helps to have different lengths of straps on bags and baskets you hook over your shoulders, arms and whatever other appendages seem useful at the time and to hang some of the things on the long handle of the drag-long machine case.