Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you checked out JoAnn's lately? >

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Prices are ridiculous, but you have to remember that each step down from a quilt shop, the quality of the base fabric goes down. It was explained in a class I attended, and they said they 'try out' the design on lesser quality 'base' fabric. If the design/color/etc is not quite up to their acceptance, they print it again on a little better quality than the first, before they print the final run. That is why we can often see the same print at different type of stores.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM

The ones I go to here have not done this either. I sure hope they don't as I use the coupons to get the mats, cutters, etc. and don't want to pay full price for them.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM

I did notice on my last visit to JoAnn's that there seemed to be fewer books of any kind, but lots of magazines. Everything else seemed the same.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM

My JoAnn's still has lots of quilting fabric and notions plus the greatest employees - always willing to help and very knowledgeable! I feel very fortunate!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM

I ain't sayin nuthin about JoAnns.......my entire thread got booted off the other day because I mentioned something lame about JA's gift cards.....SO, why is it OK to talk about their prices, their lack of material , poor quality, etc. and NOT discuss their failure to deliver valid gift cards......????
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM

If that is truly their NEW company policy/direction, Joann's management is even more CLUELESS than we thought !!??
Home decor and sewing are big again, but SO IS QUILTING !! Why can't these pinheads look at the quilting market and realize that a 3-4 BILLION $$$ Quilting industry is something a SMART company wants to be a part of ??
Hard to believe they would stop carrying all the quilting supplies ... quilters do buy them and for some, it's the only local place to go.
Even at our Superstore, opened only a year ago, the selection could be SO much better. The staff there is pretty good but they can't overcome lack of supplies. I buy very little FABRIC there anymore, their prices are too high vs quality. I do buy patterns, notions or a book (whenever they finally get new ones in!?)
Seems like soon they will just be another Michael's ... nothing but crafts and junk

Last edited by TexasGurl; 01-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM

I was in our Waterville, ME. store today and everything is still there. The manager did tell me they are trying to get in "food stuffs" as in cake decorating items, etc. but need to find room. I hope they don't find it by getting rid of all the quilting supplies.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Being "retired" due to physical limitations, I only shop at JA's when they have great sales and I have coupons; have been looking so forward to my gift card; but here it is Jan. 11 and I still don't have the card my daughter paid for before Christmas ! I have already missed the great 2 week sales they had recently; just got a flyer and coupons for another sale coming up but haven't looked at it. NEXT time my daughter will not get me a JA's gift card, she'll just send me the money......which means that JA's MAY not be my prime shopping place.....looks to me it would be in their best interest to get their act together and honor those cards ASAP ! What should of happened would that a new active card would have been overnighted to me (and the countless other customers) ! I DID receive two lame 40% off coupons in the mail today in an envelope that had been hand addressed to me......but they expire on January 15.....so they may or may not be worth anything if I don't get my gift card by then......
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Linda sorry to hear your JoAnns is doing away with quilting notions. So far I haven't seen anything like that in Georgia.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 PM

I'm trying to not buy fabric much this year. Need to use up what I have before I leave this world.
But we have a new Joann's fabric and crafts store opening up in Brunswick Ga Feb 2 or 3rd. Just about 35 miles away.
I'm anxious to go browse at least.