Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters.... >

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 AM

I buy yardage. If I see fabric I really like I buy a couple yards at least. Whenever I buy fabric for a specific project, I usually but at least 1/2 yd more as a safety net in case I make a cutting mistake and to have some leftover for a scrappy quilt. I do buy a few fat quarters sometimes if I'm making a scrappy quilt and need a few more colors/prints. If there's a really good sale, like 50% or more off, I'll look for fabrics that would make good quilt backs and buy 5-10yds. Good luck building your stash!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 AM

I hate to admit it but I am lazy and don't like cutting. I am new to quilting and so far have only made 3 lap sized quilts. I like the pre-cuts since there are so many tutorials esp. from Missouri Star Quilt Co. that show you how to do easy projects.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 AM

got my first jelly roll from LQS b/c they had a facebook friends 25% off coupon, saved me alot! I can see that it would be tempting, but my budget usually allows me to get 2 or 2.5 yds of something at a time, so that's my norm.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 AM

I also (mostly) stay away from pre-cuts. If I buy them it's fat quarters or layer cakes and I cut them up for applique quilts. For piecing I like to cut from yardage, because pre-cuts aren't always cut cleanly and in some cases they not cut straight at all!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM

I always buy yardage, but some people simply do not have room for a lot of fabric. Lucky me, I have a heated 2 car garage so buy by the bolt.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

I mainly buy yardage, but it's the material itself that attracts me.
At the moment I'm trying to use some of my stash!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM

I am one that don't have alot of room for storage so I am thinking of getting some layer cakes and fat quarters along with some yardage. I think a variety would be good. I have my eye on one certain line and am tempted to buy it to make a quilt for the bed up here...we have a room upstairs that is our computer room/extra guest room/cat room/sewing room. lol That is a lot of slashes for a small area but I am trying to make it organized and welcoming along with functional.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM

I prefer precuts because I hate cutting fabric! If I do have to buy yardage I buy 1/2 yard more than what the pattern calls for because I'll be miscutting something. That's just a given with me.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM

I buy yardage of fabric I like...minimum 3yds
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM

I love the concepts of pre cuts, but find them too limiting. I buy yardage and cut my own (cheaper and more flexibililty) since I don't get any orphans I wont use, I have some moda charms right now that I want to make up but cant find a pattern I love. I think precuts also limit you on creativity in the way you put colors and patterns together and for me that is the fun part, although I sometimes get frustrated hunting for the perfect color or pattern.