Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Shredding >

Thread Shredding

Thread Shredding

Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Thread Shredding

A few weeks ago I was quilting along with no problems then I changed my bobbin and didn't snap it in all the way. Bent the bobbin case all up I couldn't even get the bobbin out, without using a flat head screw driver. I took my machine in to be service and it came back a week later with the repair person said nothing was wrong with the machine so he just cleaned and oiled it. When I dropped it off I explained in detail what happen with the bobbin case. So I brought it home put it back on the frame tried to quilt and my thread keeps shredding after I do a 6 inch wide section the bobbin feels loose to me in the case. I have just about gone crazy today trying to quilt. Any ideas? I do plan on taking it back to the shop tomorrow.

Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200

thanks
Ginger
Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM

Sounds like you may have burred the needle hole or the bobbin race.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:27 PM

I have been having the same problem! Bought a new Juki for my Grace Quilt frame after trying a couple other machines. After trying it out put it on and quilted 3/4 of the quilt. Now all the sudden it is breaking/shredding the top needle thread. Spent 2 days adjusting tension, replacing needle, threading the machine over and over....any suggestions!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM

I have a Pfaff GQ on a frame and have never had a problem with breaking thread ... until one day. I had finished a quilt and oiled, cleaned, changed the needle, thread and bobbin. Couldn't quilt more than 6 inches. Hadn't had a problem at all with the prior quilt. So, for 2 days I kept changing the needle, rethreading, new bobbins, cleaning oiling. The only thing I didn't do was to change the main thread - that solved the problem. I had never used that spool before (I only use that brand) and I haven't had a problem since. the mfg replaced the spool for me.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Does the bobbin case look ok? It's actually one of the things I am going to get a couple more of, so I can set different tensions, as well as have a backup on hand. And is the little spring thingy still in the bobbin case and seated correctly?

Hopefully you'll be able to do some sample sewing in the shop before you bring it home again.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM

I quilted about a 1/4 of the quilt before I had the mishap so I don't think the thread is an issue. I really think the bobbin case looks a tad bent, when it happened the needle broke so I did replace that and replaced it again today.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
I have been having the same problem! Bought a new Juki for my Grace Quilt frame after trying a couple other machines. After trying it out put it on and quilted 3/4 of the quilt. Now all the sudden it is breaking/shredding the top needle thread. Spent 2 days adjusting tension, replacing needle, threading the machine over and over....any suggestions!
What needle are you using? Try a singer 2045 size 14. The scarf is a bit deeper and should work great with your Juki.