Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Please help me out..... an empty-nester >

Please help me out..... an empty-nester

Please help me out..... an empty-nester

Old 01-15-2012, 06:20 AM

I can totally relate to you. This year I turned 57 and for the first time in over 40 yrs I'm not only an empty nester when my youngest moved out with her 2 little ones my husband decided the booze was more important than a 26 yr old marriage. Anyway, it's also the winter and our bodies don't always like what the cold does to it and I'm one that likes the sunlight to keep my spirits up so I've had all of these things working against me.

I'm loving the empty nest and the empty house thing now. I got a new living room and bedroom set all thru Craiglist. I have to admit I did alot of crying in the beginning not due to the empty nester but the empty house but now I'm over that part. I see my daughter several times a week and I normally have my grandson at my house at least once if not more each week.

Let me tell you a few weeks ago I read on here about the oregano oil and how it helps the aches and pains and I thought ok, willing to try anything. I hate to take drugs. I went to the health food store and got it and Arnica Gel which I love. I used the Arnica during the day when at work so that I didn't smell like a pizza and the oil at night and couldn't believe how fast my back stopped hurting. This is something that normally doesnt' happen; I'm normally in pain for months instead of just a few days. The oil is supposed to be good for alot of things and I know the gel is good for aches and pains and bruising. My grandson loves it because he gets growing pains in the middle of the night and it's the only way we get him back to sleep is rub it on his legs. I turn my lights on bright in my house to try and get the extra light for that as well. Now, I enjoy being able to go to the store by my self and not be rushed or buy more expensive food item since it's only me eating. Just keep busy and try and enjoy life.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 AM

Enjoy the now, you don't know what the future will bring. Focus on each day you have with your daughter and your Mother, make each day a memory.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 AM

When I think about hurting, I hurt, so the best thing to do is get busy and start thinking about other things.......

obviously, first thing to do is consult a doctor to be sure that it is nothing serious..if not, then get yourself a new project and before you know it, your mind is jumping for joy with the results.

good luck.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 AM

I turned 65 yesterday and have been an empty nester for a few years now. My issues are also with pain but, if you stay active it will be better. Do the things you still can do and ask for help with the rest.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM

I don't mean to make light of your situation but think of the extra time and the room to indulge your quilting passion. I'm lucky that I live in such a sunny place so don't suffer that SAD syndrome. Maybe start stock piling some quilts to donate to a worthy cause. I always find doing for others makes me feel great even though I'm an upbeat person.(DH says I'm ridiculously happy) I went back to work when my youngest was in high school so was working for myself by the time they all left. I wasn't a quilter then but did sew and loved growing plants.
BFF and I would go window shopping and have lunch once a week and would go to craft or flea market every weekend. Sometimes we'd buy sometimes just look. It got us out and talking to other people.
I hope you are feeling better real soon and send you a BIG hug.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Life never ceases to be an adventure, no matter what our age or circumstances. Open your mind and heart to all the possibilites, opportunities, and the amazing people you meet along the way. At 46 I divorced after 24 years of marriage I spread my wings. Went to China, Spain, Brussels and formed a corporation. Not bad for someone who worked in a grocery store. My point is life is exciting no matter what stage we are in our life. Now years later being a grandmother, new wife of 5 years only enrich my life. I am sure if you are a willing participant in what comes your way you will find joys that you never knew existed for you. Focus on the new things you can share with your daughter in her new stages of her life. As she matures hopefully she will not only be your daughter but your new mature best friend.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM

I agree with starter! My body is a wreck! My 76 yr old mom can do circles around me! She line dances 2 hrs a day!, I have severe back and hip pains. Mydd and I and son r very close. It was hard when they moved out and got busy with their lives. We call and fb often which helps. I took u's quilting like starter said for those less fortunate. If u able to get out join a classed or quilting guild. That might help. I'm unable.
Good luck. You raised an amazing daughter!! Godbless
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 AM

Trust me, you'll never be an empty nester. Your child, or children, will always come back home. Maybe not to live with you any longer, but they will be there. If she's going to college she'll be on the phone all the time, especially if this is her first venture from home. Even after they marry they call home all the time. I'm 65 and retired. I'm busier now than I was when my children were young and I worked outside the home. I have friends that say the same thing. Then once you have grandchildren you'll have them all the time. Enjoy them while you can because once they hit teens they are too busy to visit.

You'll never be an empty nester and you'll find yourself too busy to be an empty nester.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 AM

Hello from another 53 yr old...wishing I was an empty nester LOL!
The goal all of us have is to raise our kids so they become productive adults. And start lives of their own. My youngest is 24, not college material and really struggled after high school to find a job (this recession hit this segment of society hard) Its difficult for a 19 yr old fresh out of high school looking for blue collar work to compete with unemployed adults with college behind them and a family. He is employed now and will move out as soon as he pays us back some $$.
My focus is now on preparing for retirement and all the fun that will be.
Try to look forward ...its very exciting to watch your birds get their wings.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
elm

I remember the first time a birthday really bothered me, and I was much younger than you. Funny thing is that birthdays became real celebrations for me once I retired. Do something special for yourself, even if it's just taking time to watch a sunset. Aging does bring aches and pains, but not everyday is bad and there are many things that bring relief. Eat healthy, get some exercise that you enjoy at least three times a week. I found that using a chiropractor and an accupuncturist helped when I had back problems. Do what works for you.
If it's ok with your mom, speak with her doctor. Then you'll have a much better idea of what you can do that will be helpful.
Enjoy your daughter each day for the next two years. By the time she is ready to move out you will be more ready to have it happen. It will be an adjustment, just like everything else in life, but because you will have had time to think about it, you'll have some ideas about what to do with any free time you have.