Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be? >

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM

I have been involved with Quilts of Valor, and as I perceive it, they don't want poorly made, novice-type quilts of cheap fabric. They have said they aren't looking for "charity" quilts but rather quilts that honor the service of the recipients. I tend to agree with this philosophy. If you wouldn't give it to your spouse/child/grandchild it probably isn't good enough to go to Project Linus or QOV. On the other hand, because I hate waste, how about using up those less-than-great fabrics on quilts for dog rescue agencies? Dogs need washable beds and they don't care what the quilt looks like. As a teacher at a LQS I have sponsored several charity events. I, too, have had the problem of dealing with a few truly unsuitable quilt donations. Charity quilts should respect the dignity of the recipient, IMHO.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Yea, I'm one of those anal retentive people who have to make every quilt regardless of who it's going to something that I myself would want or else I wouldn't waste my time doing it. I hate working on quilts that are ugly and I don't have any fabric that is "ugly" so I guess I'd be one of those testy people, LOL.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

In our guild we are not shy about saying any poor quality fabric will not be used in any guild donated quilts. We have a bin that donated poor quality fabric is put in and everyone knows it's for any use except for charity quilts. A donated quilt from our guild represents our guild. It will be good quality or the individual can donate it themselves. We don't judge ugly, someone will love it.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM

I hate it when someone proudly whips up a charity quilt using all left-over fabric that doesn't go together. A small investment in sashing or border fabric that ties the quilt together would not be too much to ask. How much nicer to receive a quilt that has some thought to beauty as well as time.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 PM

I agree with many posters here today, why on earth would it be okay to send an "ugly" quilt? If I have a fabric that doesn't makes a quilt ugly then it doesn't go in the quilt. Also, what is considered ugly in america might be perceived very differently in another culture.

As far as the group goes, if you are new you might not want to get into the fray on this one. In the big picture of things try to remember why you are making the quilts in the first place, to do something good for someone in need.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 PM

While I try and make charity quilts something I would like, I realize A) we don't all like the same thing and B) to my mind, it really is a shame to just throw away fabric that can be turned into a quilt to keep someone warm. After all, an "ugly" quilt is really better than none at all. And anyway - just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, doesn't the same hold true for ugly? I think that as long as they are made with love and will hold up to washings or being dragged about, they are a blessing to the receiver. Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Isn't Ugly in the eye of the beholder..I sometimes buy ugly guilts I see on ebay or anitquing or goodwill just to give it a home...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM

I view my charity quilts just like any other quilt I would make. In my world, if that charity quilt is not good enough to give to a family memeber then it is not good enought for anyone else. I don't believe that people who need charity deserve second hand quality or any old thing.

I say ditto. For me that includes fabric, batting, thread and binding. And I don't like to do a half good job on my work either.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

There is a big difference between supposedly ugly quilt (fabrics/colors/design/layout combinations) and poorly made substandard stuff. I made a top once with teacup and teapot fabric that I found to be atrocious when done. I donated it to community service at the guild and the ladies there made a downright wonderful top with pieces of my atrocity. (It was easy to recognize in the show and tell segment). So my ugly became a viable product. I would never give things that are poorly made because I would like to think that people in need of donations would benefit from something well done and pretty.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM

Why would anyone donate a super ugly charity quilt? Don't poor people love beauty or is this just reserved for rich people? I think that it is mean spirited to give things that you would toss in the trash away to people just because they are poor. Shame on you! What would your Jesus do?
I agree with Tartan about giving to resale shop instead.