Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter >

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM

I agree with the others, make sure your tetanus is up to date. I got vidicon to help with the throbbing, and yes I needed it!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 AM

Just watch for infection now and try to keep it cleam and dry would be my advice. i one time cut quite a V in my finger with a pair of Ginghers
Old 01-20-2012, 02:00 AM

Sorry this happened to you. I did this about 3 years ago after using a rotary cutter for nearly 25 years. I had to get 8 stitches. It was sensitive for a while to some things but I also lost some feeling. Most of it is back now and unless you look closely at my finger you would never know it happened.

My entire skin flap did reattach. Mine was big and deep, though. Are you up to date on your tetnus shots?

It will get better. Just sticks out like a sore thumb! Sorry....couldn't resist. But it does. You find that your bump that hand far more than you ever realized.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 AM
SEW

You should continue with the neosporin and bandaid, the moist atmosphere promotes healing and will give added protection against the environment. The neosporin will also help with pain. You can also take tylenol or advil for pain relief. As long as there are no s/s of infection you should be all set. The fingers have the most pain receptors in our body, so it will hurt for awhile.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:53 AM

I sliced my finger three weeks ago.. Yup.. It didn't hurt at first, and then... Ughhh..
I learned my lesson.. Don't wait until the blade is that dull.. Sharp blades hum..
The finger will heal.. but keep putting boo boo cream on it..
Barri
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 AM

Welcome to the Club? Same finger, same location just last September. I did go to the clinic and while the doc there told me, "Oh we can stitch ANYTHING together", they were able to stop the bleeding by wrapping the finger in some sort of foamy thing that reminded me of those Mr. Clean Erasers. That stuff hardened and then took about 6 weeks to slough off. I also needed the tetanus shot. My finger is definitely "deformed" and tingly. When I see videos of people using their rotary cutters without some sort of "protection" I just cringe. Trust me, I always thought I had everything under control before this happened. I so strongly urge everyone to use something! I am currently using the different size grippers for my rulers although I honestly am not that crazy about them. Thought about the gloves, do they really stop the blade?
Best of luck - I learned a whole new way of typing on the keyboard with that finger out of commission for so long!!!
Pam
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 AM

This morning it feels like my finger took a nice step forward with regard to the healing process. I am very surprised that the skin in reattaching so nicely. I am fortunate. If I ever do this again, I would go to the Urgent Care center (or doctor's office). When it happened, I figured with the skin flap being almost severed, there would be nothing they could do but clean/wrap it - and I could do that at home. I didn't realize the skin flap would re-adhere. It's possible they might have done a few butterfly stitches or something to keep the skin aligned. I have kept my dressing/bandaid on a little firmer than I normally would, so it wouldn't slip around. And I believe that contributed to the flap healing back right where it should - lined up perfectly. Yesterday I did figure out that I could type with my right hand as always and just needed to look/peck with my left hand. This morning, the left hand is more tolerant of some typing - another good sign healing is progressing nicely.

It never thought about a tetanus shot. I am likely due. I have watched for infection. So far, none. MRSA never crossed my mind until someone mentioned it here. For all of the above reasons - I would go get it looked at if I had it to do over again.

That said, going to take steps to not do this again! I thought I was being careful - but accidents being exactly that - it seems prudent to rethink how I want to cut. I like the looks of that Rule Steady. Yes, that is pricey - but it would have cost me more at the Urgent Care center. The benefits of the Rule Steady go forward though. Never mind the danger of cutting myself, but it looks like I could eliminate some of that pesky slipping on the fabric that sometimes happens as I near the end of a longer cut.

Safe cutting to all!!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 AM

yowch-I hope it heals soon. Get to the doc if it starts to look infected.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM

So sorry about your injury - ouch for sure! Another option to the Rule Steady is the Gypsy Gripper. I have them in 3 sizes and use them with all my rulers. They cost less than the rule steady as well. Here is a link -

http://www.thegypsyquilter.com/thegypsygripper.htm

Solomae
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM

OM Goodness, been there done that. I had to have stitces in mine. It seemed like it took forever to heal.
Probaly after a year I stopped noticing the tenderness in that finger, and I learned to pay attention to what I was doing and watch my fingers. Hope it heals quickly.