Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe I did this!! >

I can't believe I did this!!

I can't believe I did this!!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 AM

OUCHIE!!!! MY condolences! I get very frustrated with myself when I cause myself EXTRA WORK1

I used to work 2nd shift and was often sewing/quilting at 1 am or worse. One night I had just finished a quilt top for my first granfson. I decided to clean up one edge with a single rotary slice and then off to bed.

What I didn't see (BECAUSE I WAS HALF ASLEEP) was that the quilt was folded under itself. I CUT THE QUILT TOP IN HALF. I thought I was going to C-R-O-A-K. I was ill & catatonic when I went to bed. The next day.. I took a huge breath... forced myself to GET OVER IT - made a band of 4 patches in coordinating fabric...and sewed it in. I gave it to my daughter and she told me later that band of color was her favorite part about the quilt. When I told her HOW that 4 patch strip came to be she laughed until she cried....lol

Go figure..

Last edited by Highmtn; 01-21-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 AM

Welcome to my world. I have done it too! Find comfort in knowing you are not alone--still frustrating, but we can rant together!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 AM

No, you are not the only one that makes mistakes like that.
Last night, I hand sewed two CW squares together, only to discover one was backward! So, I carefully rip out those teeny, tiny stitches and sew it together again THE SAME WAY! Errrrg! (It's still sitting there waiting for me, at that point, I had to walk away from it) lol
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 AM

I just finished the top of an irish chain and I put the second border on the sides first instead of the top and bottom first like I had done the first border . Had to take them off and redo them. I hate it when I do things like that.

Last edited by gramarraine; 01-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 AM

So glad you posted this. I just started quilting my son's b'day present and found a big pucker in the back. Was feeling stupid and discouraged. But if good experienced quilters can have an off day, there's hope for me.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 AM

I done this last week..had my backing to short..after I had quilted most of the quilt..I took the easy way out..I cut of the last 2 rows of my quilt..it was too long anyway ..I told myself..lol
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM

You are not alone ...I have done the very same thing!!! I think we all have at least one LA nightmare. Another of mine was a wedding quilt for my niece...I was so proud of this quilt, the top was absolutely gorgeous and about half way through the quilting process, I noticed that I had tension issues and only then realized I had loaded the backing fabric facing UP which required that I unsew the entire quilted area and start over... needless to say the wedding quilt became a Christmas present for the bride and groom.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 AM

I feel for you. I received a customer quilt the other day...she always sends fabric for me to make into the backing. Quilt is 76 x 86...I measure the quilts folded...add an inch...and then make my backing 4" larger all around. I cut the fabric 100" long...twice...sewed together...then proceeded to baste it to the zippers along the selvege edge...oops! only got about 1/3 of one zipper on...thought...I won't have enough room! I'm glad I caught the error...or I'd be in the same boat as you are!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 AM

We all have those days when our brains are not engaged. I had one quilt where I had sewed a 4 inch square backwards/wrong side up and did not discover it until I was hand quilting. So forgive yourself and just go forward.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Time to take a coffee/tea break, take a walk, just distance yourself from the project, maybe even do a different project then you can come back to it with a new perspective. You're not loosing it, you're probably ju st trying to do too much or have a lot on your mind. Remember there is only so much space in your brain and it can get overloaded, then spill over into gobbleygook. It will all work out.