Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added >

Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added

Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added

Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Have you thought about using Onion Skin paper? It's thin, just 8 or 9 lbs weight, VS 18 to 20 lbs. weight for regular copy machine paper. Yet it's strong too, so it will go through a regular copy machine without problems, and will not tear if you're copying on it. It's what I use, and then I just pin it to the fabric, stitch away, (smaller stitches), and it tears away easily. Any problem spots and a dab of water with a Q-tip, wait a minute, and it comes right off. Love the stuff! Here's one source, although I'm sure you can find it at your local Office Max or Staples:

http://www.thepapermillstore.com/pap...-per-ream.html

Another thing I have done is copied it onto regular copy paper, and then used my rotary perforator to make a grid of perforations on the paper. Not quite as good as the onion skin, but will do in a pinch. Really helps to release the paper from the fabric to pre-perforate the paper, or sometimes just the lines, if they're not too intricate.

Warmest Regards,
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Oh, and by the way. I don't use ink of any kind. I use either a regular pencil, or the red pencil. No problems with the thread that way.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM

I tried the Press & Seal yesterday and it worked great. It pulled off without any problems and it didn't pull any of the stitches loose. I used a regular ball point pen to transfer the pattern onto the Press & Seal and it didn't transfer onto my fabric.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the wonderful tip.I wonder if you mist the wax paper, with your water spray bottle, if the paper wont come off easier?I know I'm going to try it, making sure I use the sharpies,so nothing can run.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 PM

I've heard of some people using the Glad Press n' Seal for their quilting..never tried it myself.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM

I think I can do this.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM

That is a great idea, never thought of that. Will have to give it a try! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 AM

I trace my design on paper and sew through it to quilt my design. Before I sew I use an tracing wheel to perforate the paper so that the threads don't pull when I take off the paper.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 AM

This gold paper you are using, shown in your photo, looks like it might be architectural dratfing tssue. I've never seen it in a sewing store but you can buy it at any art store in the drafting department. It takes ink very well and is probably strong enough to sew on. A new one for me!
Originally Posted by DebsShelties View Post
I think about the same as this gold paper I am using, got it at a local quilt shop.
It's seethru gold color. Maybe I needed to say freezer type paper?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney View Post
I tried glad press n seal and found it a bit difficult to remove.
Now, I xerox on my home printer the pattern/design onto xerox paper. I use straight pins to hold it onto the queen size quilt I am quilting on my home machine. It removes easily unless my stitches become too small. I think I will try the tracing wheel to premark with the little holes.
Great ideas here!
I had the same experience with the press n' seal. I couldn't get all of it out from under the tiny stitches. I labored with a tiny pin trying to get it all out. Then gave up, ironed it, and wha-la!! The remaining press n' seal bits melted and you couldn't see any of it left! And it did pull a little at the stitches. But it all worked out.