Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM

I agree. I shall not purchase anything that has commercial on the selvage.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 PM

Yah!...what she said

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't even want to think about this. I don't want to argue about whether it's legal or binding or what "commercial" means. I just won't buy any fabric that's marked that way. Ever! And if a manufacturer has one line marked that way and not another, I just might have to avoid that manufacturer completely. So there!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:37 PM

My goodness! How crazy is that!!! I think it's just about the stupidest thing I've heard all week... If we can't use the fabric any way that we want to, they shouldn't put it out there for sale... Case closed!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
Didn't I just read a post on here de-bunking this as a myth? Or did I read it on one of my other boards? Anyway- the license is from the owner of the design to allow the fabric company to print it ( ie they have nor just drawn their own picture of Mickey Mouse or John Deere or whatever) There is case law out there addressing the ridiculousness of deeming any license to exist with the end user.

But I bet we'll have pages of more responses just taking this at face value. One of the things that irritates me greatly about this board. All transmission, no reception!!!
OK , OK, if you want someone to receive these comments find the fabric manufacturer, wholesaler or designer and send the comments to them!!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:00 PM

I agree with others, We are a big group of buyers, let's not buy from these mfg. and/or designers. We might not have any idea what we are going to do with fabric when we buy it, once we have it we should not be restricted in how we use it.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM

How bizarre can things get these days? What with all the "politically correct" language, Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, now you can't buy a fabric, make a quilt and sell it???? I think some idiot just sits around thinking up the next stupid restraint to put on us....UGH
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieBB View Post
OK , OK, if you want someone to receive these comments find the fabric manufacturer, wholesaler or designer and send the comments to them!!!!!
Whoops. It seems you have proven Noveltyjunkie's point exactly.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Don't buy that fabric. If it doesn't sell the store will stop ordering it. The designer will have what she wants, her fabric all to herself. LOL.

I read 4 pages replies and have come to this conclusion: 1. This is utterly ridiculous! 2. If I buy fabric, it is mine to do with as I please. I am not some big 'manufacturer' I am me, alone with my sewing machine and maybe make less than 100 pieces to sell at a flea market, or I use it for my own projects to keep or give away at my own discretion. 3. If the designer thinks that much of their fabric that they feel that they can tell me what to do with it, they can keep it all to themselves! I don't need someone, whom I don't know, telling me what I can and can not do in my own home with fabric of all things!! 4. The price of the fabric is high enough now that it is hard for some of us to purchase it and if we do make and sell something from it, we are not only giving away our time and craft, but are loosing money because there is always someone with their hand out wanting a cut of what you are doing, let it be booth rental or sales tax or fee to sell or fee to collect money, ect.. in the end, it is just another hand that is trying to double dip into our already empty pockets for the lint that is left! 5. Look what happened to the embroidery world when the designers started telling everyone where they could use their designs.. that market has dropped off like a lead balloon. It got to the point that the only designs you could use were ones that you digitized yourself, and then you had to be careful of the line drawing you used!

I say again, this is utterly ridiculous!

JM2C
Susan

Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM

Found a thomas kinkade ( spelling might be wrong) beatiful print with the cottages on it at Walmart guess what it said " not of commercial use"well that lost my purchase
Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
In addition to not buying the fabric, let the store owners know you are NOT buying that fabric, and WHY.

Yes, it's like buying flour at the store....I can make bread but not cookies!!! I'm all for complying with copyright laws but I think this is taking it a little far.