Uneven Half-square triangles

Uneven Half-square triangles

Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
I try to avoid them, they make me cry!
I'm not alone then!
Annie
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the tutorial Jan. It was great.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by chefjojo View Post
Try the magic triangle method from this month's Craftsy's BOM. Site is Craftsy.com
Wow....thanks for the info. What great tutorials she does. I keep looking at the sewing machine she is using and wondering if it's a vintage machine. It's huge. I also noticed the pretty blue vintage machine sitting on the shelf behind her...lol!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the information- I will try thes things.

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
A couple of things will help this problem.
~~First, make sure your needle isn't old and dull.
~~Next, have you tried the "leader/ender" method of beginning and ending your sewing....chain piecing also helps with this.
~~Next....switch your needle plate to the one with the little hole rather than using a zig zag plate. The tiny hole really helps keep your machine from eating your fabric.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Candela59 View Post
I have never sucessfully made one! I've tried until I've wanted either scream and/or cry!!! Sorry I can't be of any assistance here!
Me too! I am trying to refuse to buy another ruler but if I were going to make a quilt I needed them to be accurate with I guess I would have to. I have watched Eleanor Burns do the cut down method and it is slick but I really am trying to save every penny and NOT buy!I am gonna read every post on this thread!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Jan - thanks for this great tutorial. Have printed it out and will be keeping it close to my sewing machine. Love, love, love the members on this site.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM

The easiest, and I do mean the easiest way to make HST's that never come out wonky is the cut-down method created by Rhonda Woodsmall. You can find this method on her website...bitsnpiecesworkshop.com

Like many of you, I have stayed away from any pattern with HST until trying the cut-down method. Now my HST's are never wonky and my points always match. Try it for yourself...it's amazing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Louie's Quilt 1.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	308970  
Old 02-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MamaYitu View Post
I am having trouble getting my half square triangles to be sewn to a regular square; they don't match exactly so the points are off. I know that you cut the half squares 3/8" bigger. So I am making 2.5 regular square and the triangle square I cut 2 7/8. But when I go to match them up to sew, they don't match--the half-square triangle which is now a square is bigger??? What is the problem? Does anyone else have that problem? What must I do?
you want your squares first cut 7/8" larger than the FINSIHED size of your square. Stack two colors together(right sides together RST) I cut them 1" larger (than the desired -finished--square ), sew 1/4" on each side of the diagonal mark, press lightly, cut on diagonal line. Press open, then trim to your desired square size. id you cut on the diagonal, then sew, you are sewing bias edges, which you want to avoid if you can. that works for scrappy. if you do a lot of
the same colors, papers work really well. there are several methods out there. man, it is hard to correctly write
something that you just do automatically if you have quilted for a while. good luck---triangles add so much to your
quilting patterns.
avoid if you can.
with a bias square ruler as others have suggested.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM

You could always go back to the very old fashioned way, cut templates, trace and sew. If it works, you can measure and do it the same size with a rotary cutter and ruler. If it does not work the way you want it, trim or make a new template. To make a template, take a piece of cardboard,(cereal box) draw the size of the finished square and draw a diagonal. Cut the cardboard, add a quarter inch all the1970 way around or trace onto the fabric as is and cut a quarter inch away from your tracing. I know this seems like a lot of work, but you have already spent time and it has not worked so I think it is worth it.
I taught quilting in about 1970 before rotary cutters and self healing mats. Everyone just cut and traced. The tracing line became your sewing line. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM

I use the rule cut the square 7/8" larger than the desired finished size. Sew seams 1/4" to each side of the diagonal line and then slice the diagonal. So far so good for me using this rule.