Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break? >

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I am soooo glad to hear someone else say that! We were taught to sew over pins(they had to be placed at a 90 degree angle...AND machines were advertised as "sews over pins"! Having said that, I dont sew over pins now, but I used to because I was taught that way.

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
About sewing over pins-I remember in high school during home ec, I was told it was ok to sew over pins if they were placed correctly. Was my home ec teacher telling fibs or was it the thing to do a <cough> couple years ago---ok 30 ish years ago?
I rarely sew over pins now.

I cut under my arm with the rotary cutter, I hold the fabric and ruler with my left hand and cut under the arm with the rotary cutter. I always check to make sure no new people are around when I cut because I don't want them to pick up that bad habit.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM

When in Home Ec in high school, we used dressmakers pins placed at a 90*. The machines handled them quite well because we also were sewing very slowly.

Now I use the large quilting pins with the yellow bead on top and have learned to sew a little faster. I find that my current machine really doesn't like sewing over the quilting pins. I am breaking needles, or bending pins, or breaking pins and they get stuck in machine.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:31 PM

I always wait on changing the rotary blades and now I do press more often but if there is a chance that i can get away without pressing, I do. Other than that I am perfect...................ah, now we all know that is not so. Have a great day to all.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Hi all, this thread is great. I think we all have something that someone else will think is a bad habit. We do the best we can do. I do not know where to oil my machine (book doesn't say where). Read that 3 in 1 oil is not to be used for the machine. Tried to tell my DH that and he keeps saying it's for everthing. Hard to believe how much better a new blade works. I always press seams no matter how small, never put pins in mouth, put threads in pile on table and clean up after a round of quilting. Sew some things I do right. Working on the others. BrendaK
Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 PM

I have a big steam Rowenta and TWICE I left it on all night. I purchased a timer at Walmart and plugged it into the iron. I can set it to stay on all the time, or up to 60 minutes in 5 minute increments. It will never get left on all night again. My worst habit is not cleaning up after each project and having an unbearable mess...not being able to find the scissors, etc, because they are buried under piles of fabric. I wish I could be more organized.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 PM

I love to piece quilt tops --- Quilting and binding, not so much. I have a stack of quilt tops that need to be quilted and bound and I just keep putting it off and piecing more tops. Some day, I'm going to have to starting quilting. LOL
Old 02-05-2012, 06:25 PM

I never knew that I had any bad habits until I started reading this forum!!! lol
I hold straight pins in my mouth...I wet the thread with my mouth (gasp) before threading a needle... I cut from the wrong side of my ruler (never knew there was a right and wrong side), I follow the lines on my mat!!!!! and I do not intend to change any of these "bad" habits!!!!!
Love you all...
Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
Denise that is absolutely the best comment ever! Love it. Maybe there is a gap in the market: voice-activated sewing machines? They're voice-activating everything else, so...

Yeah.......although...considering how much I talk to myself when I'm sewing it could be quite disastrous
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM

My worst habits are starting new projects when I get stuck on one that I'm working on. Sometimes I can't make a decision....like right now...and so I procrastinate and mull over the decision while starting something new. This creates a backlog of many things started and waiting to be finished. Really wish I didn't do this but have a hard time with decisions so at least I use that time for something. Not going to count my UFOs though because that would make me feel bad!!
Not going to do that, not going to do that, etc., etc.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmau View Post
Pins in mouth-check
Use rotary blade until dead-check
Cut toward me-check
Talk with pins in mouth-check
Forget to change needle until it either brakes or makes weird noise-check
Have more than one project started at a time-check
Buy more fabric than I need for 'just in case'-check
Have more machine than I will ever use but would not trade it for the world-check
Spend too much time on the quilt board-check and double check
Spend more time plotting quilts than actually sewing-1/2 check

Bad habits-not really-just enjoying life and its adventures!!
Triple check everything! amen and amen. Gee, I wonder why I never get anything done??!!