Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 February 2012 BOM Pictures >

1 February 2012 BOM Pictures

1 February 2012 BOM Pictures

Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 AM

I am lovin' all these pictures of this cat block. I spent practically the whole day yesterday trying to figure out what to do with those crazy little ears. For some reason, I was so lost. I did everything wrong from sewing it the wrong way to trimming the wrong piece. Thank goodness I had lots of fabric scraps from which to play. I finally broke down and revisited the paper piecing video. Came the dawn... I never did paper piecing before last month, so I guess between then and now, I forgot the entire technique.

I really loved cutting all the pieces first, so as not to waste fabric. Then I began cursing all those tiny triangles. I think I've got it now, so I'm off to work on finishing my block.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by rural01 View Post
I am lovin' all these pictures of this cat block. I spent practically the whole day yesterday trying to figure out what to do with those crazy little ears. For some reason, I was so lost. I did everything wrong from sewing it the wrong way to trimming the wrong piece. Thank goodness I had lots of fabric scraps from which to play. I finally broke down and revisited the paper piecing video. Came the dawn... I never did paper piecing before last month, so I guess between then and now, I forgot the entire technique.

I really loved cutting all the pieces first, so as not to waste fabric. Then I began cursing all those tiny triangles. I think I've got it now, so I'm off to work on finishing my block.

CAROL........For some reason I had a hard time with this pattern also. I have done more "frogging" than I think I have done ever. One thing I usually do, and because of so many interruptions while trying to make up this block, I didn't do with each step. I always say to myself (before attaching each piece), "WRONG SIDE OF FABRIC TO WRONG SIDE OF PATTERN". Then, "RIGHT SIDE OF FABRIC TO RIGHT SIDE OF FABRIC". If I just keep saying this to myself, it saves me a lot of ripping out and fabric. I hope this will help anybody just starting with Paper Piecing. I know it did for me.

Hope to post my picture later today.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM

What a wonderful bunch of kitties!!!! One cat, two cats, four cats.....such a beautiful variety and imaginations. I just love this block. I might just have to make this block with three cats and a heart for my three cats. You guys are an inspiration.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Lovelyl, I love your kitty block.

Here is mine. I now wish I had used a darker background so the kitty would show up more, but it is what it is. Once it's in the calendar quilt, I think it will be fine. Mine is a 12" block with an 8" kitty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	#2 Heart Cat.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	309418  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Judy, I love it. The red batik is beautiful.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM

Here is my February Cat Heart!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	309466  
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
Lovelyl, I love your kitty block.

Here is mine. I now wish I had used a darker background so the kitty would show up more, but it is what it is. Once it's in the calendar quilt, I think it will be fine. Mine is a 12" block with an 8" kitty.
Judy...........Your Heart Cat block looks so elegant, the way you have put it together. It's just beautiful & the red fabric used for the heart looks so rich & colorful. I too, am sure it will look just fine in your Calendar quilt. Very nice work. Thank you for sharing with all of us today!!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Here is my February Cat Heart!
JeanieG......What neat heart fabric, you have made your Heart Cat block with. I Love it!! The way you framed your cat with a red border just sets it off perfectly. If you have a special cat, you could embroider his/her name in the center of your heart. Just a thought, as it looks great just the way it is!! Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Wow I've been away for one day and lots of gorgeous kitties are posted! They're all beautiful!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Jeanie, I love the way you framed yours. The material reminds of those yummy cinnamon red hots.