Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling Quilts >

Selling Quilts

Selling Quilts

Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
My friend has a store and wants me to make some quilts to sell in there. My question is: how do you know which patterns to use w/o copyright infringements? I'm not very good at designing my own.
you can use any traditional pattern, there are hundreds. It sounds like your friend wants your quilts on consignment. Get it in writing who is responsible if anything happens to them, and when and how much you get paid.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 AM

Yes, I have sold many quilts. But it takes time to be found by people. I have had a website for many years and have sold them there. I have sold some at craft shows, the best place has been CranFest in Warrens Wi. Have sold some to friends, and I usually give them a discount of some sort. The best thing is to get out there and let people see your work.
If you have a webpage, I use wordpress as it is free and you can make it easily yourself. Get pictures out there on your work, and when someone calls from far away you can just have them look at the site. I pay $12 a year to have mine be directed to wordpress.com and the actual site is from godaddy for $10 a couple year. Wordpress gives you so much help with key words people are searching for.
Best Wishes!

Last edited by patricej; 02-09-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by CharlottsQuilts View Post
There is a new website that is from a startup company in Boston, called Custom Made. People look on the web at the Makers, and when they see someone's portfolio they place an order for something custom made, and work with the crafts person who will make what they want. It's new, and I found about it from a news article about how google is helping small businesses to make easy to use websites, their website is really slick, the work people are doing looks very high quality. Not too many quilts so far. I thought if I made quilts from old block patterns I would by pass the copywrite laws. The only thing that bothers me is that I can't do machine quilting. I've practiced forever, and I just can't get it. I am able to do nice handquilting though, even though it takes forever. I'll post the website to the Custom Made when I get a chance I think it is just www.CustomMade.com
I visited this website and it seams very interesting. Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 PM

I have sold many quilts, mostly baby. have had good luck, i work in a quilt shop, so when asked, i deliver.
katz
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM

So just how much are you all charging for your quilts?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

if you are planning on using commercial patterns to make quilts to sell you need to send an email (or call or write a letter) to ask the designer's permission to sell the quilt-
if you make a quilt just using 'traditional blocks' like log cabin blocks-- you do not need to ask anyone's permission-
but pretty much any commercial pattern the designer or company who put out the pattern should be contacted and asked before any public selling.

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
My friend has a store and wants me to make some quilts to sell in there. My question is: how do you know which patterns to use w/o copyright infringements? I'm not very good at designing my own.