Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why don't they make a plain quilting machine >
  • Why don't they make a plain quilting machine

• Why don't they make a plain quilting machine

Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM

I have a Viking Mega Quilter. I bought mine used for $500 but the dealer has it new for $900. It is great for quilting. Only sews forward and back. Cuts the thread (don't know if I am sold on that feature). The motor is strong, sews fast, has a great stitch, there is a free motion foot that I think comes with it along with a regular foot you can piece with. I bought the walking foot. It holds cones and regular spools and it manages large quilts no problem. It can mount on a frame but I don't have room for that so I just have the machine with the extension table. I think that is a good price for what it is.
    Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by beaqltr
    I agree with the two other posts. I have a Brother PQ-1500S. It has a long arm and is a real work horse. I do wish I had a second machine that for other stitches.

I wish someone would invent a sewing machine with a bigger bobbin. Why do they have to be so small?
    I agree re: the need for a bigger bobbin!
    Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 AM

If you have a quilting guild/group it may be possible for the group to invest in a long arm and make it available on a schedule basis. I am sure there is a dealer who would be more than happy to sell one and probably throw in some classes on how to maintain and run it.
    Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 AM

Don't forget - it is possible to quilt a king size on a regular machine. I've done 120" quilt and so have others on this board.
    Old 02-11-2012, 05:45 AM

Brother has a straight stitch deep throat machine....runs around $900. You might take a look at it.
    Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 AM

Bailey's are just that. Available in 13, 15 or 17 inch. Can be used on frame or table top. Under $3000.
    Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Never mind, I just looked it up--that's perfect and a beautiful machine BUT I don't see a price range which usually means it's out of my range
    The Bernina 820 is about $8,000, the 830 is $12,000. Toooo much money IMHO. Now if they just made a machine with say a 12-15" throat that was straight and zig zag stitch with the vertical bobbin system like the Berninas have that would be wonderful. Also if it was a table top machine that has feed dogs, that way it would so much easier to quilt like the domestic home machines do.
    Sharon
    Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 AM

thank you everyone for your input this is a very informative topic i am thinking of getting a new machine and all you replys helped
    Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 PM

i just sent a pm about this one.... didn't look down far enough...
    I've spoken to someone there,,, and there is info on YouTube.... it will be my next machine...i have a Janome 1600P high speed on my frame now, but it a bit confining... 9-10" throat... for now... it's working fine....
    Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    Old 02-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    the bernina 820 is about $8,000, the 830 is $12,000. Toooo much money imho. Now if they just made a machine with say a 12-15" throat that was straight and zig zag stitch with the vertical bobbin system like the berninas have that would be wonderful. Also if it was a table top machine that has feed dogs, that way it would so much easier to quilt like the domestic home machines do.
    Sharon
    amen to that!