Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January 2012 Doll Quilt Swap -- Show Us Where You're From >

January 2012 Doll Quilt Swap -- Show Us Where You're From

January 2012 Doll Quilt Swap -- Show Us Where You're From

Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 PM

oldcatlady, your gorgeous little quilt arrived today. I love it and it brings back fond memories of my early life on a farm (minus the hot air balloons). Just love the little quilt block star on the barn and the cute little heart on the silo. Thank you so much for being a fantastic swap partner. Here is a photo, isn't it pretty

Originally Posted by oldcatlady View Post
The waiting is something else, isn't it??? I think I am just as anxious for you to get it as you are!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	From Oldcatlady.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	310476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldcatlady detail.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	310477  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 AM

Lyn- Oh,my, that is so intriguing and fun looking!! Are those balloons appliqued on top? You know, we could have a scene like that in the summer here where I live. Our county fair has a hot air balloon race and they fly over all the dairy farms, people follow them in their cars and watch them land! The barn with the quilt block is a perfect touch. A picture of American life! Great job, Oldcatlady!!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Swap Hosts

Oldcatlady, what a wonderful quilt! It does look just like a county fair. Those balloons just seem to pop right off into the sky.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:48 AM

Does anyone know how long it takes for delivery to(Ontario) Canada? I sent my quilt Jan 24. I don't remember when my partner sent hers, but it was before the deadline. Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Thanks everyone. My parents grew up in SE Ohio on farms. I had aunts and uncles that were dairy/beef cattle farmers. The county my father lived in has dozens of quilt blocks painted on barns throughout the county. It's fun to drive around looking for them. The city I live in used to have a big rubber factory years ago that made gloves and balloons. We have a big annual parade that celebrates that heritage and we have dozens of hot air balloons take off.

There are several large apple orchards in my county so I threw in an apple basket in the corner. We grow tons of corn in ohio but could not find any corn stalks in my stash One of my favorite ohio slogans (used to be on our license plates) was 'Ohio....the heart of it all', that's why I put the heart on the silo. I tried to combine as much as I could and still make it look like it went together. I really loved making it. I want to make myself one.

I found the most gorgeous balloon fabric on line from the 'Elizabeth's Studio' line if any one needs any for a project. She specializes in novelty prints.

What a fun month of quilts!

Lynnie, I'm so glad you like it.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Wow!!!!!! Oldcatlady what a beautiful quilt. Like I said befor I love them all. Great job everyone.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Swap Hosts

Oldcatlady, I hope you write all of these wonderful memories down in your quilt journal!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Neat barn quilt, oldcatlady/Lynnie25.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Oldcatlady, you are amazing. We ALL want one... please, please, please?
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]I got a PM from my partner, uniquedesigner, that she got her package so I'm going to go ahead & post pictures of the doll quilt I sent her. I named it "The Croplands of California". Even though I am technically a "city girl" I grew up with the influence of agriculture in many aspects of my life. From my first job at 13, cutting peaches for drying every summer at the small farm down the street from our home, to being in 4-H and participating with my country counter-parts in the fairs and events, to taking up horse riding & ownership at the age of 33 & fulfilling a life long dream, to working with many accounting clients who are farmers, to coming full circle & currently working as a bookkeeper at a local family owned farm, growers of almonds & citrus, and working part time at a friend's Thoroughbred horse arm. Farming is in my blood. My grandparent's families farmed & ranched in Nebraska. My grandmother shared stories of plowing fields with a team of horses. I remember at the age of 9 roaming a great-uncle's cattle ranch on his pony for hours and hours. And, since California supplies over half of this nation's fruits, nuts & vegetables, it seemed only appropriate for this to be how I showed where I am from.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	The Croplands of California (3) (640x359).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	310905