Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
disappearing marker pen >

disappearing marker pen

disappearing marker pen

Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 AM

I have used the black Frixion pen that you iron out and had no problems with it
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM

I love the Frixion pens. As everyone has said, test first! I recently used a dark blue, almost navy pen on pure white cotton to mark my quilting designs. The marks ironed out perfectly!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 AM

I have been using a blue Mark Be Gone pen and discovered that if you just put a light dot-dot-dot line instead of a continuous line it is much faster to remove. Sometimes you may need a solid line but make it with a very soft touch - in other words don't soak the fabric. Recently used it on a white-on-white fabric & had no problem removing although the heavier lines took a couple of tries - seemed to reappear in spots after the fabric dried.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM

With some of the pens it might make a difference if the fabric was prewashed before using the pens. The interaction of the ink in the pens with the sizing/spray starch in the fabric might make removal more difficult.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 AM

I am using the Pilot Frxion marking pen now. I am using the blue and so far have not had any trouble with it working as told. My DD uses the black. The only problem she had was when she had the marking on over a few days and then ironed it off. It bleached an area on her quilt. But it only happened in one spot. Whether that was a fluke, or because the length of time marked or the fabric we don't know. That has not happened on my quilt. But mine has only been marked in number of minutes. I mark then sew that iron it off, then mark another area and do likewise.
These pens work the best of anything I have worked with so far.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM

I have had problems with the disappearing ink when I hand quilt, as it disappears too quick. So I use the water or iron disappearing pens. I have a mister spray bottle I use and when I get through quilting, then mist the places that have blue pen marks. I get mine at JoAnns and Wal-mart and it should tell you on the side of the pen which is which.
Always test first.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM

I have used a fabulous pen that I bought at my LQS. It's made by PILOT and is call FriXion Ball and it comes in different colors. All depends on the color of your fabric, so that the ink will show. After you sew...you just iron and it's gone! I love this pen! I have used it to draw around cookie cutters for motifs on quilts. I have not had any problem using this pen.
Hope this helps you.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM

I just found the FriXion by Pilot. I purchased mine at Office Max. They come in the erasable gel pen with a 0.7mm or a 0.5mm point. They also come in an erasable ball point (our Office Max didn't have ball point style). The gel pen came in red, blue and black. I haven't had it long enough to do an informative review, but my friend uses hers on quilts that her church hand quilts. She said they have had no trouble with the pen leaving marks on the quilt tops. Checking your own fabric is good advice.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM

I use the Pilot FriXion erasable gel pen, a warm iron will take the markings off, have had no problems with them not disappearing when ironed. Walgreen's carries them in our area, that is where I got mine.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM

I've used the FriXion pens. In my experience you really have to be careful with the red. It kept coming back after several pressings. I use the black quite a bit.