Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why do people do this?? >

why do people do this??

why do people do this??

Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I was reading a quilt book that I got for my birthday "Mastering Precsion Piecing" by Sally Collins. One thing that I found very interesting is that she says if we have a machine on which you can move the needle over, we really should be using a wider presser foot and moving our needle over until we have a 1/4" or scant 1/4" (whichever you prefer) at the edge of that foot. For most of us - I have a Bernina when we have our needle in the center position and use a 1/4" foot we are not using the feed dogs on the right hand side which gives us better fabric control. I haven't tried this yet but will on my next project. It is one of those aha moments and makes sense after someone tells me that.
I have a Bernina 830 and I use my fat foot that is open in front and move my needle over to the right almost all the way. That way I DO use both of the feed dogs. It's in the shop for a tune up and I'm using my Huskavarna with 1/4" foot and it is way harder to get the fabric to move. I have to use "The Purple Thange" and push it to get it started. I miss my Bernina.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM

I never use a scant 1/4 inch seam. But all of my quilts so far has not mattered. I just try my best to be constant on my seams.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Why are we making this harder than it has to be by making a scant 1/4 inch seam. I think this is a case of the emporer's new clothes and I just don't see them. I am afraid we are being flim flammed. froggyintexas
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
This question is being asked because I finally finished my Balkan Puzzle block for Feb. on Craftsy. They make a 1/4" foot for most sewing machines and I think they are mainly made for making quilts. They DO NOT make a scant 1/4" foot that I am aware of. So why are we all expected to make this whole quilt ( 24 blocks ) using a scant 1/4" seam. It is so much easier to line the edge of the foot up with the edge of the fabric. Needless to say, I made the block more than once. LOL OK, I'm happy now. Had my gripe for the day. glenda
I have a digital machine and often use the foot guide however if I need a scant 1/4" then I move the needle over. Many people do not use a guide or move the needle then their seams end up more a 1/2' of even more because they are "eyeballing it" ask me how I know LOL, yep until I got a guide and then a digital machine I was forever reverse sewing. Even with my guide or being able to move the needle over I will still have to reverse sew my seams at times because it matters they are right for a particular task. Fabric moves and it will move away from your guide so I assume when they say a "scant" something it is also to give one an indication that it is going to matter if your seams aren't good.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM

When I started that block I thought, "this is a pretty block I have never seen it before." When I finally finished it - it was too small. I had to make it again. I decided that making a quilt with just this block was now out of the question!!!

I don't like the scant 1/4 either because I am not sure if my scant is the same scant :-) every time. (my needle doesn't move as far as I am aware of).
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I use 50 2 ply thread for piecing and size 60 or higher in the bobbin and sew a regular 1/4" seam. Thread is the most important factor in piecing then getting the scant 1/4" seam. Invisifill is a great thin thread to try. http://softexpressions.com/software/threads/WNInvF.php
Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Oh that is a really good idea - adding tape to the 1/4" foot. I'm going to try that and maybe it will keep things more accurate!

Last edited by TN Gal; 03-13-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: left out which post I was responding to!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 AM

Just move your needle to the right by perhaps one stop (check what it is on your particular machine) and I really don't see that there is a problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 AM

what kind of machines do you all have that you can move the needle to make a quarter inch scant??
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 AM

Excellent point!