Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
jim's gem-- hi! i used to be in this weight loss challenge. i just wanted to suggest orthotics if you don't already have them. i avoided foot surgery by getting some. i also had bone spurs. try the Walking Company for shoes that provide the support you need. they are not cheap, and i'm not affiliated with them, but i am a satisfied customer. they have a sensor machine that will map your feet and suggest the right insert for your feet/ shoes. difference of night and day! the other source, of course, is a podiatrist, but their custom made orthotics cost more and my insurance wouldn't cover it, but again, in 2 days i had a spring to my step i hadn't had for years! first time in ages my feet didn't hurt. good luck! i hope you find something that works for you and you can avoid surgery!
missy-- i can hardly believe that's you in both pictures! boy, i'm away a couple months and you just about disappear! good for you!!!
i hope i will be back on the weight loss trail next month. haven't lost, haven't gained, but i'd like to lose! just bought some new dresses (very cheap at ross) and just hope that they fit! i would like to wear regular sizes again! see you soon, glad to see everyone is working at losing!
Thanks Nancia,
I have worn orthotics for over ten years now. They made a huge difference when I got them. But since last summer my feet have been hurting again. My podiatrist says that the bones on my feet have spread and that my heel spur is even bigger. one of the largest he has ever seen. He fiddled with my old orthotics, padded them more, gave me 2 cortisone shots, I wear Brooks Ariels which he says is the best shoes I can wear (it's the only thing I can wear at the moment) we have tried the night splint which only lasts about 2 hours on me and had not helped. Right now he has re-casted my left foot again and said if it doesn't help he won't charge me for the orthotic. We are getting down to pretty much the surgery option. I hate being in pain and not being able to walk. It hurts all the time, walking, standing and even when sitting or laying I feel like someone is jabbing me in the heel with an ice pick periodically.

I hope you are able to get back on your weight loss journey and fit into the dresses you just bought.
I have been able to pull out some clothes that I bought several years ago that I have not been able to wear. I am about ready to buy some new undies cause these ones are quite loose on me. Considering you can have quite the weight range in those things I feel great needing smaller ones!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Jim's Gem, it does sound like you are out of options. My bone spurs either went away or were removed in one of my surgeries. I do remember stitches in that areas on the left foot - I should say staples. Don't wait too long to buy undies, especially if you shop in dresses. There was a story here last year about too large undies sliding down in WalMart. Congrats on needed smaller ones. Buy something pretty.

nancia, hello. I've missed your posts. Your middle of the night musings are good reading. I hope you are feeling more hopeful. The sunshine has to help.

Darn, darn, darn. I decided today would be 'ride a bike or sell them all day' and I'm a dizzy redhead today. Blasted neurathapy. I'm not ready to give up so I will extend to my moratorium a few weeks - by the time the flowers are planted - no, here that's a few months off. Just because it's very warm today doesn't mean we won't have another blizzard.

Has anyone tried the Dr Scholl's orthotics where you stand on the scanner and it maps your feet? I drove the poor machine crazy, but it finally chose some for me. I haven't dropped $50 on them yet. I read an article by a doctor who said all his patients who were truly compulsive overeaters had sore feet and the sore feet came first before the weight gain. An interesting correlation and I do fit the picture.

Do you ever think your computer knows too much. I looked up Fons and Porter klutz gloves a few days ago and now what do I see across the bottom of the screen? I hope it's not an omen. Oh, now it's shoe ads.

Back to folding clothes. I have such a low tolerance for repetetive jobs that I have trouble staying with it. Have a great day - healthy food, just enough exercise and lots of water.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Wow Missy you are disappearing. Soon you will be down to nothing. Looking good. I have had sore feet for years. They even bothered me in college when I was skinny. I guess that is why I have never worn heels. They have gotten worse with age and fat. My left foot gets so sure at times It almost feels like I have a broken bone in it. I got custom orthotics from my chiropractor about 6 months ago. He is licensed to measure for them. My foot is much better. Not 100% but better. He also talked me into a stick called the THing. I roll my feet and other sore spots on it. It looks kinda stupid but OMG it feels wonderful.
It is almost 80 here today. I wanted to wear capris to work today but I couldn't. None of them fit:-) THey all fall down I bought 2 pairs on the way home today. My underwear were falling down too. I had to buy all new. It is so wonderful to go down a couple of sizes. I just bought cheap ones because I hope they don't fit for very long.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Di, you are so right - it's easier to do good things for yourself when you look good. Hair combed, lipstick and mascara on, shoulders up, butt under. Luckily working round the house in a crinoline and heels is no longer the norm, but it is nice to have some decent 'house' clothes. I only moisturize my skin at night. I have daytime stuff, but am not using it regularly.

MJ, I'll be looking for you in Women's World. I wonder if they have a 'last ten pound diet'? I have bouts of shin splints - the stretching is a good idea, but be sure you warm up first - can you use the stationary bike? Falling off the treadmill couldn't have been fun. I am ready to ride my outdoor bicycle. I can't put it off forever. If my balance won't let me, then I will sell two bikes and donate the third. If I can't use them, they are clutter. Moira would love to run beside the bike. I won't ask Lily to unless she tells me she it's time and I don't think that will happen.

Pam, wah, wah, wah. I only have bacon once a month at Big Boy. That day is THIS Thursday. Hmm. What else to have? Is ham too closely related?

mim, I love San Diego. When my son was stationed in Yuma, we made the trip over the mountains several times. SD has my favorite zoo even if if built in a canyon and you're continuously walking either uphill or downtown. I never missed a trip to Old Town, either. The bar that was used in the Top Gun movie was a bit of a disappointment, LOL. Walking in sand is so good for your legs.

It's happening again. I sit down here and get sleepy, so I'm leaving for a while. Have a good evening.
Ham is ok..... LOL bacon is hard enough to give up.....
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Well, I was doing pretty good, down five lbs., but spent the last three days up north, Boyne Mountain, came with DD, SIL and DGS. He is one and we are the sitters while they snowboard. He is a doll. But I have NOT been a very good girl with my eating habits. Oh, well, I'll do better next week. I'll know how much ground I need to recover when I weigh in on Saturday.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM

I lost 3 lbs in the last week. Woo hoo!
Do any of you get emails from craftsy? They have several different online classes, mostly for sale. They have a BOM that started in January that is free. You just need to sign up for it and you can get the first 3 months. The rest of them will show up on the first of each month. You can even send it to a friend as a gift for free. There are some very nice blocks (2 each month) and new technics to learn with each. Now this just brings up a major problem that I have. When I get excited about a new sewing project I want to work on that instead of the many projects that are already waiting in line. What is going to happen to all those older patterns and fabrics that are patiently waiting their turn?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 PM

You didn't lose them, Pam - you sent them to me. It's a good thing I know that my weight goes up and down wildly or I'd be worried. I ate soft food today and my teeth feel better so I didn't eat trying to make the pain go away. Interesting logic, but I think I know why I do that. Do we ever outgrow things imprinted in our brains when we are children? I miss my almonds, but I don't miss the pain.

I have looked at the Craftsy blocks and picked out fabrics - b/w, but haven't started any yet. I want this red quilt done first.

Buslady, you were at Boyne? I assumed Caberfae when you said W Mich. Did it rain Monday? It did here. Today was 80 degrees. Our normal high is 38-40. We broke a record by 10 degrees. Ten days ago, it was below zero. Such is life around the Great Lakes.

Cheap undies? The last time I looked at any, I had sticker shock but I guess that's true of a lot of things. I don't even look at the price of gas. If I need it, I need it.

If any of you are appliquers, I have a question in 'Main'.

Good night.
Judy.

Last edited by irishrose; 03-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM

I had surgery and I am not able to get to any FQ's. I am staying with my daughter till the 20th so as soon as I am able to get one to send to the lady that won last month I will...........I can't drive at this time because I had shoulder surgery and I live 200 miles away from home, I moved 10 years ago and won;t give up my doctors............
Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM

nan4baj, you don't owe anyone any a FQ. You haven't indicated a desire to part of the FQ challenge either last month or this month. Those in the challenge sign up before the third of each month. You can be part of the group without being in the FQ challenge. Welcome to our group. Please post often and sign up in April. You can post as much want now, don't wait until April. Going to a doctor 200 miles from home would be difficult. How nice you have a daughter in the area. My orthopedic surgeon is 50 miles away and I'm not changing even through there is group within four miles of my house. Have you read through the thread? We post about food, weight, exercise and our lives in general as our lives effect our weight. There is a 'taboo' for each week. This week it is bacon. It isn't so much about not eating these foods as raising our awareness of our consumption of them. Every one is on their own plan - several Weight Watchers, several tracking food, water and exercise on Myfitnesspal.com. Some like me just winging it. Is that why I'm not losing weight? My fitness pal is a good idea. It's quite easy and free and can be a real eye opener.

I've been drawing and cutting out my appliques - I'd forgotten how messy that is. I'm not pleased with a couple of the flowers, but I want this done so they are good enough. Now to decide which machine to use for the applique.

I'm actually getting sleepy so I'll check in tomorrow. I have my no bacon lunch meeting. I'm trying not to whine. I am losing weight and getting healthier. Good night.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 AM

ok, i don't mind going on record here--I was the one who lost her drawers at Wal-mart! fortunately, they had several pairs and pkgs to choose from! i nearly lost them today, rather, felt that i was, and it was just corduroy trousers against cotton panties and i had to keep pulling them up because they insisted on riding down around my ample hips! when i got home i hurried to get rid of them, only to discover they were hip-huggers! so no wonder!!! ok, i felt pretty silly! now they are fine.. sometimes, i think it's better just to stay in the house. lol.
i have had a bit of good fortune lately and am now the new mom of a brother nx2000, laura ashley edition. figure i'll call it ashley since i'm not sure if it's a brother, or a laura. where does one peak to find out? at least, Ashley can be either gender!
judy, there must be something in the water! i spent a good deal of time today folding laundry, too. i am trying to pack away winter clothes and sizes that are too big so i can't go back to them! i want to be rid of both winter and fat! oh, btw, if anyone is looking for a fun swap, there is a mug rug swap being hosted by abdconsultant and it is enrolling now. i have signed up. we will be making 4 9" round mug rugs, each a different color. how often do we get to go round? i know, you only get to go 'round' once. (giggle 8-)) .