Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group >
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group

• Need advice regarding charity quilting group

Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Yes, I agree with you.

[......... what you meant. Deciding to not make a poor quality quilt in favor of a better quality quilt will probably mean someone just receives a better made quilt, don't you think so?[/QUOTE]
    Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
    Fox

I'm just wondering how these women leaders are chosen to lead the groups, and why they are followed. Are they the only ones that can do the job? Probably not. It's difficult to find someone who can lead, especially in a church envirnment. Politics always gets in the way. A person could be chosen because their family has always been in charge. Or there is always the person who charges in without any charity in their heart, but wants "power". There are are many more examples. But it comes down to: what kind of work do you want to do, why do you want to do it, and how do you want to do it. It may be better to work alone, and use your own choice of materials than to lower your needs to create and give. It's a little lonely at times I know, but it's easier on the mind, and soul. Speaking to the pastor might help, but that's putting the pastor in a bad place too. Work on your own, or start your own group--with charity in your own heart for those people who are looking for a new leader.
    Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 AM
    Power Poster

Knowing me, I would say "eeeeew, that's gross and I ain't touching it!" Never been known for being particularly subtle, I usually get my point across rather quickly. Just becaus the group doesn't have standards doesn't mean that you have to change your personal standards.
    Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I do plan on speaking to the Pastor. Not to have him "handle the situation" - it's my choice if, when, and how to speak up.

Rather, I would like to ask him if there is any "back story" that I should know about first, so that I approach the situation with the most understanding and empathy possible. It would be helpful to know if the congregation as a whole has a history of being extremely frugal, or if the family of the leader of the group went though a period of poverty (that can change a person and color their worldview).

There will be a meeting at the end of the quilting season, which would probably be the best time to bring up my concerns. I think if I support my words with Bible quotations, it will come across as "what we've been called to do" rather than as just "the new member's opinion".

Last edited by Favorite Fabrics; 03-16-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Favorite Fabrics: As a life-long member of the denomination you describe and an LWR quiltmaker for 40+ yrs. your dilemma has been bothering me all day. What to do? I would suggest an appeal to the on-line lwr.org for help in creating an attitude adjustment in your group. The days of filling rag squares with nylon stockings are long gone! They are very helpful and I'm sure they would provide much literature and suggestions. Your group needs to know that American Christians are being respresented overseas by these quilts. I certainly wouldn't want people to judge us by some junky quilts. Please keep trying! Navigate that site until you get into the quilt section and can get a quilting contact. They need quilts badly are are willing to give as much help as they can. Don't give up! Made this your mission. Praying for you.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Scraphq, thank you for your prayers on this! Actually, I had e-mailed LWR after my second week working with this quilting group. I was worried that the quilts were too thin to be useful as they were only putting in a single layer of sheet in the middle (and not a flannel one). I received a lovely answer from Vicky Whetstone at LWR within a day! I'll share with you what she said:

"Regarding the quality of your quilts – we regard quality quilts as the ones that best meet our guidelines and thereby are able to best serve those in need who receive them. So we’re not too concerned with how a quilt looks, but if it is practical and durable. As far as looks, we believe that every quilt is beautiful in its own way because of what it does for another person. It’s our/your way of wrapping God’s loving arms around someone in need and what’s more beautiful than that!

In terms of the lining – you are correct that we do want our quilts to keep people warm. Even in warm climates, it gets cool outside at night so a quilt makes a big difference. There are several ways to line a quilt that are all acceptable to LWR: 1) used blankets, 2) strips of flannel sewn together, 3) TWO sheets (which makes 4 layers of material total), 4) used mattress pads, 5) batting. We encourage folks to use as much recycled or used material as possible, but to keep the end product in mind – that is needs to warm, practical and durable."

So, after reading her response, I relaxed my attitude toward the looks of the quilts... but I'm still concerned about the durability. And the attitude of our hearts!
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM

I don't think I'd like to work in a group where the quantity is stressed over quality.

Having said that, there is something to quantity, but quantity doesn't have to mean low quality. Simple quilts with nice fabrics that are well made can be made more quickly than a complex quilt pattern can. The bottom line is that I can make more quality quilts if they're not complex.
    Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 PM

I make Quilts of Valor and always use good quality fabrics and batting. The group that I make quilts with insists on quality over quantity. Also make kids charity quilts for a local organization, the same rules apply. I make my quilts with the same care that I do when I make family quilts. Only cotton fabrics are used for the quilts.
    I can't see giving substandard just because its for charity.
    Sharon W.
    Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

When I started quilting, a member of my guild said to me the "a charity quilt is a gift to God. You don't give trash to God." I agree with her. I make a great many charity quilts. I am not a fabric snob, but I won't use badly worn or stained fabric. I also try hard to make each one a pleasure to look at. Some of my guild sisters make charity quilts that I would not like to use. I don't argue with them, but I do my quilts "as I would like others to do for me".
    Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
    Maybe you could suggest using all the best stuff first, and if at some point you run low you could consider using the imperfect pieces...or those could be donated to an animal shelter to help other less fortunate creatures.

I think it's always a fine line comparing what we would accept for ourselves versus what someone with nothing would accept, but then again it's not very gracious to ask someone with nothing to accept what we ourselves find unacceptable. I think the lady in charge is not being very gracious, despite her no-doubt good intent...
    Well stated!