Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
American Girl - Need the "trend" explained to me.  LOL >

American Girl - Need the "trend" explained to me. LOL

American Girl - Need the "trend" explained to me. LOL

Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 AM

i made my daughter promise that when she became too old for her ag doll she would pass it on to me! since then i have collected several other 18" dolls, including one boy. toys-r-us have a nice line called journey dolls. not so pricey, but still very nice. my dgd is 7 months old so i can still have the dolls to 'play with' for another six years. lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 AM

Our first GD is 2 and I am hoping she turns out to be a "girly" girl who likes dolls and dress-up!! After 5 GS I am ready!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM

American Girl has it's web site--American Girl .com. I made clothes for them and the Bitty Baby dolls for 10 years for craft shows. Simplicity and McCalls have tons of patterns to fit the dolls and they also have patterns just for the Bitty dolls. I got all my shoes from www.Newarkdressmaker.com and www.Homesew.com . They carry clothes too if you don't want to make them but homemade are better quality. I have a ton of shoes left for shipping costs only if anyone interested. Will be moving to MT end of April so I'm destashing.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 AM

FYI- the company offers Canadian Girl Dolls, too. They feature dolls from different geographical areas and cultures from all over the country.
My DGD loves hers and I've quilted a comforter for the doll bed to match hers. I find them charming but a little stiff to hold.
My favourite doll as a child was filled with wool batting. God only knows what gunk or mould or other nasties was in that stuff but I loved her because she was soft and cuddly.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM

My daughter turns 30 this year and we have two dolls from the American Girl line and lots of books from her doll playing days. I found the receipt for her Samantha doll the other day - around $100. I can't believe I spent that back then! She also had a baby doll from the same company. Since my grands right now are boys I haven't looked into clothes, but these dolls were an absolute favorite even way back then.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 AM

My daughter LOVED those dolls so i made lots of clothes for them (gifted from Santa--she didn't know I made them for years). Nowadays, I have my goddaughter. I coordinated with the parents about getting the doll. I was going to buy it but grandma insisted. anyway, I made about 40 outfits to gift that year. And, I bought shoes and skis and ice skates from Home sew. Her father still loves to talk about how I gave so many clothes that her doll barely needed anything else which he loves given AG prices! I did nightgowns, party dresses, pettipants/bloomers, skirts including a pink felt poodle skirt with matching white cardigan, chinese sheath (my goddaughter is from China), ski clothes, denim jacket, and so many. I had a blast sewing these items with all the little fancy embellishments. Now, I'm waiting for my cousin's 3-year-old to get a bit older so I can do it again. And, with any luck, one day I may have a granddaughter to do this for!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM

We bought our DGD an American Girl doll for Christmas....she was 5...and I worried that she might be too young. She immediately named her Hannah, and she has been her constant companion. Her birthday is coming up soon, and I thought that she might want a bed for her (we bought her the wardrobe at Christmas). Got a call a couple of nights ago from her requesting another AGD because Hannah is lonely and needs a friend while she is in school!

Guess we will be making a trip to the AGD store in Denver for her to choose a playmate for Hannah. She poopoos the historical dolls, because "she wants to name the doll herself"!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM

i have got some patterns from mcalls,buttercick,simpility and got a lot of patterns free offf the amercian girl .com and have got a few of the books, pininterest has a sites. checks these all out, i have made dresses, pants ,swimsuits, t-shirts.and others things. if you have left over material these are easy to make. have fun and enjoy the little girls in your world will be happy and enjoy teaching them to sew too. enjoy.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by txstitcher View Post
Ok, American Girl dolls are popular with the little girls right now. My cousin's little girl is almost 7 and I thought I might introduce her to American Girls via some books to see if it is something she likes. Also, I see where the girls can get dolls that look like them, but how does that pertain to the historical girls featured by American Girl?

Hope y'all can help me understand! LOL

Thanks in advance!
My daughter had bought American Girl dolls for her daughter when she was a child, so her granddaughter already has the dolls, so they purchased one of the "look alike" dolls. That doll really looks like my greatgranddaughter. Amazing.