Kindle

Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 PM

I love my Kindle. I had reached a point where I didn't have room for all the books I have and they sure don't sell at garage sales. Books are not cheap but I found that on Kindle there are plenty of books at the 99 cent to $5 level and sometimes they even have some for free. I just have the basic Kindle, but am very happy with it because I'm a very avid reader. For me, TV just doesn't cut the mustard. Too much junk, sex, violence, etc. and not enough quality shows. Also, with Kindle, you can just close it down and pick up where you left off whenever you are ready to continue.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Some libraries have free downloads on current e-books, but they are allotted a limited number of downloads at a time, and you have to wait your turn as with any printed book that is in high demand. This seems weird to me, but the publishers would be crazy to allow unlimited free downloads on new books. I think a Kindle would be neat to have, but I have mixed feelings. I usually buy used books from our Friends of the Library store, which is a huge fund-raiser for the library. All the books they sell are donated, and the workers are volunteers, so the few dollars I spend on a book all go to the library. If people quit buying books this source will dry up. For people who can afford Kindles and such, the library may not be all that important these days, but there are many students and other readers for whom it might create a hardship not to have a thriving library system. Also, I dislike the fact that when you buy a Kindle book, it's not really yours in the same sense as a paper and ink book, and you can't pass it along to a friend.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:07 PM

We purchased a Kindle Fire just b4 Christmas and my dh and I both love it. I download free books all the time. He loves to play games on it. We considered the cheaper one, but we are both pleased with the one we purchased. It was $199 and the price has remained the same. If you have a friend with a kindle, or nook or even a computer that has kindle downloaded on it you can loan books to a friend..
Old 03-26-2012, 01:40 PM

My Kindle Keyboard 3G/Wireless just arrived from Amazon on March 24[SUP]th[/SUP]. It was listed as $139 and with tax would have been $150. I signed up for the offered Amazon Credit Card and received a $50 gift certificate, making my total $100. If I am not mistaken when Kindles first came on the scene weren’t they $400?
There is so much to learn but it has been very easy to get started. I can tell I am going to love it.

This page on Amazon is very helpful for new Kindle owners.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_12/185-3468621-5473318?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=kindle+store&sprefix=kindle+store%2Caps%2C397

Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM

One more thing I love about the Fire...I can listen to Pandora or IHeart radio at the same time that I am reading! I also listen while I'm quilting...so much fun!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 PM

I was given a Nook Tablet (16g) for Valentine's Day, and I'm surprised how much I love it. B&N has quite a lot of FREE books as well as book prices from 50¢ and up, and of course through your library there are thousands of e-books available to borrow. I never thought I'd like a e-book reader but it does make traveling so much easier. In my group of bookaholic friends, I was the only one who was still traveling with a tote bag chock full of books.... now I can just carry my 1-lb tablet stocked with a dozens of books for reading.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM

I have the plain Jane Kindle. It does nothing but let me read books. I absolutely love it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the touch, feel, and smell of a good book and I read them at home. But when I'm out - Dr's ofs etc. it is always with me in my purse. I have downloaded 80+ books and have only paid for one. I am also a certified Kindle cover maker. I would post pictures of the covers, but don't know how. If you would pm me I could show you pictures. But, back to the Kindle. You cannot go wrong. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I, who a while back stated I would not, am now considering purchasing a Kindle...Not the most expensive one, but then again, who knows...I may eat those words too. So, anyway, those who have them, please tell me the pros and cons before I make that decision....so I know what to expect or not.......I am primarily interested in the reading of books part......am not really one who needs social media w/me at all times..........
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Power Poster

I have the Kindle w/keyboard...and I love it!
I got one for my Mom, daughter and SIL for Christmas!
I take it with me whenever I leave the house!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM

I started out with the Kindle 2 and just recently upgraded to the Kindle Fire. I absolutely enjoy every bit of it. I was doing a lot of traveling and this really was the answer to everything. Not only did I have my books to read, but I was able to access the web when needed.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I get so many free books for Kindle I don't mind paying full price for a new E book I want. Do you know Amazon has a Kindle app for free everyday? My favorite game for the Kindle is http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-of-...f=pd_sim_mas_1 You have to figure out the clues to escape the manor.