Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Marilyn, how pretty. Very nice job. You should check out Erin Russek's blog. She's doing an applique BOM. She has a center block that you can purchase for $10 but the other blocks are free. Love her designs. Google Erin Russek / One Piece at a Time.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire View Post
I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.
On the contrary - I just tried my hand at machine applique and failed miserably. Now I'm hand enbroidering over all my uneven stitches. My hat is off to any who does machine applique AND IT IS APPLIQUE.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 AM

These quilts are beautiful. I hand applique too, but I'm not sure mine look that good. Great job to you both.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by efayard View Post
Marilyn, how pretty. Very nice job. You should check out Erin Russek's blog. She's doing an applique BOM. She has a center block that you can purchase for $10 but the other blocks are free. Love her designs. Google Erin Russek / One Piece at a Time.
Thank you. I did purchase the center block and am following and printing the blocks as they come up. Mini Bloomers will be my next project after I finish Birds of a Feather. I am about 2/3s done with that.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM

You know I was reading the threads in here for awhile and got way laid around christmas. I had so many plans on what I was going to do. I know that I can do applique by machine. But I am not sure that I can do the hand, as a matter of fact I tried to do the first block of "The Night Before Christmas" I mean I brought the whole pattern to do it. I so want to take a class, but then I can not aford to take a class because I lost my job 7/8. /at any rate the last two quilts I just looked at were totally awesome, and what I dream about doing.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 AM

You really don't need to take a class. Anything you need to know you can find on You Tube. I'm sure there are a ton of tuts for needle turn. When I started I used freezer paper method and in the last few years I have moved on to back basting. I use milliners needles and silk thread. The rest is practice. The most important thing to use is your thumb. Use your thumb to hold down the material that you want to stitch and don't get ahead of yourself. Concentrate on a couple of stitches beyond your needle and the rest will take care of itself. Hope you decide to try it again.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Hi Suz; is your pattern Applique Affair? That's the one I'm on and currently on block 23. Last night ordered her "Sweet Sixteen", but the AA has 20 border blocks to do as well. I think I posted pictures somewhere in this thread. Had not seen any new posts in a while either. Maybe it's now active again.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
Hi all,
I watch this thread with great interest. A few years ago I found needle turn applique and just love it. Attached (I hope) is a picture of "Baltimore Bliss" which was a free BOM from Fat Cat Patterns. I did this a couple of years ago but I never grow tired of it. I am working on Birds of a Beather right now which is pattern from Barb Adams and Alma Allen. Hopefully, that will be finished this summer.
Beautiful. Really pretty color scheme and just love the plaids in it.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Suz

Regarding points: I posted my method awhile back, but will do so again here. Stitch to the tip of the point and take a second stitch at the tip. Remove pins or bastings on the left side of the leaf for about 1-1/2". Turn the tip back and clip carefully the turnunder of the side you just stitched. Do not stretch the leaf fabric. With a toothpick turn, cause or push the seam allowance back at a 45 degree angle. Trim a scant in this area making sure you have sufficient fabric to tuck. With your stitching hand, pinch the next portion of the seam allowance under (keeping the angle turned under also). Hold tightly with the thumb/fingers of the opposite hand up close to the edge of the leaf. Tuck with needle at the tip, taking a stitch at or near the tip and continue down the left side. --- Obviously, these instructions are for right handers. Lefties, you know what to do.

I think the whole clue is getting rid of excess fabric at the tip. Be patient, trim carefully and you will make beautiful points. -- Please let me know if these directions are not clear and I'll try again.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Beautiful!!! I love your color choices. The scalloped border finishes it off perfectly.
Cleodaisy