Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite thread for FMQ'ing on your small home machine? >

What is your favorite thread for FMQ'ing on your small home machine?

What is your favorite thread for FMQ'ing on your small home machine?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM

For MacThayer,
Janome puts out a "Blue Dot Bobbin Case" for FMQ. It is specifically for FMQ, this way you don't have to "mess with" changing your everyday bobbin tension. I was skeptical, but put one in my Janome 6600, first class, first time FMQ...turned out perfect.
Diana in TX
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 AM

It depends on the look you want. If its purely decorative and you won't be washing it, I use Sulky rayon embroidery thread to give it some sparkle . If I want the quilting to sort of blend in, I use Superior Threads "So Fine". If I want the stitching to stand out, I'll use a heavier 40 wt. thread like King Tut. I particularly like to use a variegated thread. Of course, a regular piecing thread works fine, too.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 AM

I use King Tut by superior in the top and bottom line in the bobbin works great
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Aurifil 50 WT Sometimes when the thread breaks it might be because the needle opening is too small. I quilt on my Janome 6500 and it is a thread snob. It can not handle much else. I also use a top stitch needle 90/14 schmetz. I also use a vintage Bernina 830 recorder and can use thick thread on it as long as I use the top stich needle.
I read all the post for this thread and this post is closest to what I just learned at a FMQ class I just took given by a Master Quilter. We were told to bring a size 12 Top stitch needle and explained that the hole needs to be larger than twice the size of the thread. With the small holed needles, the thread frays and loops, resulting in breakage. I asked if this was good for my machine on a frame and was told yes. Another thing she taught us was that if the thread is streight wound on the spool that it should roll from the side. If it is cross wound on the spool, such as a cone, it should be pulled from the top. If not done this way, it will twist as it unwinds. She also recommended Superior Threads.

Last edited by DebbyT; 04-05-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 AM

I have been receiving the Superior Threads Newsletter for years and just joined the Superior University Thread of the Month club. One of the items that came with my first month's things was a fabulous DVD that explains ALL the threads, how they are made, and what setting to use on the tension dial (any machine) and which needle to use. I'm sold. I've been happy with any of the Superior threads I have used in the past for FMS and now I know why. I also like Aurifil and Bottom Line.....I particularly like Bottom Line for the bobbin. I, too, have the "blue dot" bobbin and think it helps me with my FMQ. I do most of it on my Janome 6600 like another quilter here on this board.....I also have a bunch of the Connecting Threads thread, but it is linty so I only use it when I need special colors.....it works fine, just linty....
Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and have used Robinson-Anton for piecing and FMQ, it works fine. The time I tried Sulky, I had lots of breakage problems. I recently bought my first spool of Aurifil and I'm piecing with it. Omg, I'm a convert! This thread is amazing : )
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM

One thing I noticed is that no one mentioned buying "cheap" thread. I know when i started I looked for whatever was cheapest and some of those threads are not even worth the $1 I paid for them. I have used lots of the threads mention and a few I have never heard of but I do like Connecting Threads and my Viking Sapphire likes the thread but remember to clean the bobbin area frequently as there is lint when you use cotton threads.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mommessy View Post
I FM with silk thread now....works really great!
I just took a quilting class from Master Quilter Mary Buvia and she also uses silk thread as her go to...even for piecing....and then many others to achieve the look she wants
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DebbyT View Post
I read all the post for this thread and this post is closest to what I just learned at a FMQ class I just took given by a Master Quilter. We were told to bring a size 12 Top stitch needle and explained that the hole needs to be larger than twice the size of the thread. With the small holed needles, the thread frays and loops, resulting in breakage. I asked if this was good for my machine on a frame and was told yes. Another thing she taught us was that if the thread is streight wound on the spool that it should roll from the side. If it is cross wound on the spool, such as a cone, it should be pulled from the top. If not done this way, it will twist as it unwinds. She also recommended Superior Threads.
Sounds like the instructor I just had a class with. See my latest post
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

I use my favorite thread brand - Aurifil.