Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine) >

You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine)

You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine)

Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM

The paint and decals on this machine are just about pristine due to a heavy layer of clear cote. Her colour leans toward green whereas the full sized machine leans toward blue and didn't have any decals. There was no plate on this one other than the paper Elna sticker on the front which indicates it was distributed by Elna Canada.

J

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Did you paint her or is she a no name? Looks like a 15 clone. Nice hefty machine.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM

My "new" machine is quite similar to the one posted by JMCDA. I bought it a few weeks ago but just got her cleaned up and oiled yesterday. I tried her out today and it sews so-o-o quietly and smooth .

I'm pretty sure it is a 3/4 sized machine because it seems so little compared to my other bigger machines. The second picture more accurately shows it's pretty blue color.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing machine--resized for forum.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	327179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capri==resized for forum.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	327180  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Here's my 99K, from 1931. When I bought this machine, it originally had a 220 motor and no foot pedal. I think that's why the decals are in such wonderful condition, it sews wonderfully and didn't take much to get it sewing.
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5380.JPG
Views:	1036
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	327187  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Just some rambling thoughts from a rambling (with no place to go) mind.

The usage of "full size & 3/4 size" are twentieth century designations. They have been traditionally been used for Singer machines and “clones”. Prior to the first class 15 machine sizes were all over the place. There were miniatures with 3” x 2”(ish) footprint. The New Englands with a 7” X 3 ½”(ish) footprint . The Saxonias with a 10” x 5”(ish) footprint. I’m not home to accurately measure any of my machines, so I’m sort of using my memory to guess at these footprint sizes.

I have a National machine at home that has a 15” long bed, but the head is clearly trimmer than the Singer 99 (¾ size). So is it a full size as defined by length or is it a ¾ size as defined by the head size and looks?

I think that we should not get too caught up in trying to put our machines into a rigid category.

Personally I love any small machine, as I equate small with cute.

Just my thoughts,
Cathy
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Power Poster

Cute nothing... my small machines will sew through fabric like nobody's business just like the big guys. I don't know about the Cinderella yet though. My GDs think cute = for them. I gave Miss G a Spartan and she is very happy sewing on it. The littler girls haven't seen Cinderella or I'm afraid they will be begging for that one. Cinderella needs Glenn's treatment method for sure. The finish is awful. We had good results on the Vindex Special. I'll post pictures when I get Cinderella fixed up. Back to cute. I think the kids do need something cute. BUT they need something that sews well. There is nothing worse than getting frustrated with a machine. Those old ladies sew just fine.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 AM

I like cute! I need cute to satisfy the little girl in me that learned to sew..when she was a little girl!

my 3/4 machines all have a 12" bed which was what I thought was fairly standard for the smaller machines..and of course the body of them is proportionally smaller than the full sized.

Joann
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Cute nothing... my small machines will sew through fabric like nobody's business just like the big guys. I don't know about the Cinderella yet though. My GDs think cute = for them. I gave Miss G a Spartan and she is very happy sewing on it. The littler girls haven't seen Cinderella or I'm afraid they will be begging for that one.
I think your Cinderella is adorable....it's on my wish list along with a Diana (my best friend since we were in 8th grade) and a Raymond (my youngest son). Who would think that there were so many vintage machines named after people.

I have to laugh at your granddaughters begging for the Cinderella. My youngest kids "call it" when I bring a 'new' machine home...."I call this one!!" When I bought my pink Atlas machine I thought I was going to have to sleep with one eye open....my 9 and 10 yr olds were arguing over who was going to get it when I died!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

I'm fairly new to the vintage machine world, please let me know what a "Godzilla" machine is? Would that be the Singer blackside machines, the machine only a mother could love?

Christine-
I currently love a Singer 15-91 in a fabulous table, a Bernina 640, SWF-1501 compact and a Tin Lizzie 26" long arm.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I'm fairly new to the vintage machine world, please let me know what a "Godzilla" machine is? Would that be the Singer blackside machines, the machine only a mother could love?

Christine-
I currently love a Singer 15-91 in a fabulous table, a Bernina 640, SWF-1501 compact and a Tin Lizzie 26" long arm.
You got it - kind of a crinkle finish - as in UGLY. Love those 15s. Don't know much about the rest.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Here's my 99K, from 1931. When I bought this machine, it originally had a 220 motor and no foot pedal. I think that's why the decals are in such wonderful condition, it sews wonderfully and didn't take much to get it sewing.
Sharon W.
Wow, it's lovely! Did you keep the electric motor? I see the sewing guide on her, you must use her often, huh? I use my 15-91 sometimes and it's such a great feeling using a machine that is 60 years old. My 15-91 is a centennial.

Last edited by Christine-; 04-12-2012 at 01:11 PM.